Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Help with my shiplist (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Help with my shiplist
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using Reverend's original Excel shiplist as my template, I've been able to add almost every on-screen ship or display of a ship with an NCC number in a chronological order. However, I need some help with a TOS reference chart, namely this one, from Patrick Kovacs' site:

http://home.arcor.de/spike730/starfleet_ships/canon/pics/display9.jpg

Here's what I came up with, starting from the top of the list.

NCC 1709 (Lexington, according to the 'pedia)
NCC 1831 (unknown)
NCC 1703 (Hood, according to the 'pedia)
NCC 1672 (Exeter, according to the 'pedia)
NCC 1894 (unknown)
NCC 1697 (unknown)
NCC 1701 (Enterprise)
NCC 1718 (unknown)
NCC 1885 (unknown)
NCC 1700 (Constitution)

My main question, of course, is if I have the numbers right. It's not the clearest chart to make out, but I tried my best to distinguish between the 6's & the 8's, but I could still be wrong.

My second question is, was there another TOS chart which showed NCC numbers, or was this the only one?

And my final question is if anyone has a pic of the NCC chart from ST:VI, which supposedly showed such ships as the Korolev, the Ahwahnee, the John Muir, etc. and their registries.

Thanks,

Mark

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NCC 1709 (Lexington, according to the 'pedia)
NCC 1831 (unknown)
Maybe it's 1631, the Intrepid
NCC 1703 (Hood, according to the 'pedia)
NCC 1672 (Exeter, according to the 'pedia)
NCC 1894 (unknown)
Maybe 1664 pegged as Excalibur by Okuda
NCC 1697 (unknown)
Wasn't this pegged as Essex by Okuda?
NCC 1701 (Enterprise)
NCC 1718 (unknown)

NCC 1885 (unknown)
NCC 1700 (Constitution)

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, that's the screencap I made... Except it's lost some quality along the way.

Either that, or someone took a screencap of the exact same frame I did...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, it is my screencap. I'd forgotten that I told Spike (or Fitz, as he was known at the time) that he could use it. :-)

BTW, here's the discussion we had about this back when I took that screencap.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That list is so out of date!

I think some of these were the registeries that okuda used when assigning them to the constitutions, so he may have misread them which explains why there are a number of similar...numbers.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the Connie registries in the Encyclopedia come off of that chart from "Court Martial" (TOS). It was Greg Jein who originally matched those numbers to Connies back in 1975, and his list was published in the magazine T-Negative. (Incidentally, that was the same year that Franz Joseph's book containing his own numbering scheme was published, which has become so popular with Fandom-inclined folks. Even Spikey uses it, though it's nowhere even close to being either canon or official.) Here's a helpful guide: http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/con_reg.html

Anyways, the official Paramount (Okuda's) list is mainly based off of Jein's list, with a few alterations like the Eagle and Endeavour, which for some reason were assigned different numbers by Okuda for TUC.

So that chart represents as follows (though the quality of this screencap may not have tipped you off to all of them):

NCC-1709 (Lexington)
NCC-1631 (Intrepid)*
NCC-1703 (Hood)
NCC-1672 (Exeter)
NCC-1664 (Excalibur)
NCC-1697 (Essex)
NCC-1701 (Enterprise)
NCC-1718 (Unknown)
NCC-1685 (Unknown)
NCC-1700 (Constitution)

*There has been some confusion over whether the Intrepid is NCC-1631 or NCC-1831. From some screenshots it looks like it could be either one. The Encyclopedias list both numbers in various places (1831 in Connie entry, 1631 in Intrepid entry and shiplist.) But all other sources (Chronology and official website) list 1631 exclusively, and that's the number from Jein's original list, so I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be 1631.

To answer your second question, I believe this was the only TOS registry chart seen, though according to Okuda there was a screen in "Space Seed" that showed the Constitution's reg to be NCC-1700, but I've never been able to spot it.

Thirdly, I've never heard of or seen any picture of the actual okudagram from TUC, but a reproduction of it's contents (supposedly furnished by Okuda himself) was in Bjo Trimble's Concordance. Here is that information:

SMA=Starship Mission Assignment okudagram (Current assignment in parentheses)
OR=Operation Retrieve chart

U.S.S. Ahwahnee NCC-2048
SMA (deep space exploration) + OR

U.S.S. Challenger NCC-2032

U.S.S. Constellation NX-1974
SMA (certification tests)

U.S.S. Eagle NCC-956
SMA (colony resupply mission) + OR

U.S.S. Emden NCC-1856
SMA (neutral zone patrol)

U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-1895

U.S.S. Helin NCC-1692
SMA (scientific survey ship on neutral zone
patrol in sector 21290)

U.S.S. John Muir NCC-1732
SMA (upgrade at Starbase 24)

U.S.S. Kongo NCC-1710

U.S.S. Korolev NCC-2014
SMA (diplomatic mission)

U.S.S. Lantree NCC-1837
SMA (carrying colony supplies in sector 22858)

U.S.S. Oberth NCC-602
SMA (deep space exploration)

U.S.S. Potemkin NCC-1657
SMA (scientific survey) + OR

U.S.S. Republic NCC-1371

U.S.S. Scovil NCC-1598
SMA (astronomical research) + OR

U.S.S. Springfield NCC-1963
SMA (neutral zone patrol) + OR

U.S.S. Whorfin NCC-1024
SMA (deep space explorer on neutral zone patrol)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Greg Jein interpretation makes me want to vomit. I hate it. But of course, I must accept it. moving on...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
The Greg Jein interpretation makes me want to vomit. I hate it. But of course, I must accept it.

Why?

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hardly think i could win in a battle between myself, and Greg Jein, Mike Okuda, Doug Drexler, Denise Okuda, and everyone else who has subscribed to that interpretation and would use it in future works. I resign. Checkmate.

What good would it do me now to say that Jein was wrong, 27 years ago. The damage to Trek registry continuity has been done. The only thing that could help now is to explain it (The CaptainMike SemiSequential Registry Theory��™) and move on.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:
Why?

Err...because it's the scheme offficially maintained by Paramount? Essentially, it's canon.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that it's in exactly zero live-action episodes or films, it is decidedly not canon. Do you really think Paramount is "officially maintaining" anything? Of course not. It's just like the people who think that Paramount has some great list of what's canon and what isn't that the writers follow. They wouldn't even give the issue a second thought if fanboys didn't keep pestering about it. Mike Okuda stuck the registry list in a book since his art pal Greg Jein came up with it and that's about as far as it goes. With an incredibly large likelihood of never visiting the twenty-third century again in canon Star Trek, it seems pretty sure that there will never be canon to support the Jein sceme. I, therefore, reject it for the time being.

As to your overwhelming opposition, CaptainMike; well, they'll never know if you just quietly dissent. [Smile]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:
Given that it's in exactly zero live-action episodes or films, it is decidedly not canon. Do you really think Paramount is "officially maintaining" anything? Of course not. It's just like the people who think that Paramount has some great list of what's canon and what isn't that the writers follow. They wouldn't even give the issue a second thought if fanboys didn't keep pestering about it. Mike Okuda stuck the registry list in a book since his art pal Greg Jein came up with it and that's about as far as it goes. With an incredibly large likelihood of never visiting the twenty-third century again in canon Star Trek, it seems pretty sure that there will never be canon to support the Jein sceme. I, therefore, reject it for the time being.

Umm...so what exactly do you think the www.startrek.com website is? A figment of the fans' imaginations? The very fact that such a site exists, and that there have even been such publications as the Encyclopedia, proves that Paramount DOES keep track of this stuff. (Granted, as we all have seen, not without a lapse here and there... [Wink] )

For the last time, canon is not only what is onscreen, but also anything additional that represents Paramount's official view of the Star Trek universe.

And issues of official viewpoint aside, the fact is that this number scheme is the ONLY one for which there is any kind of onscreen support. All of these registries have been seen in the show. A number of them have been definitely matched with their respective ship names on the show. True, some of the accepted matchings have not been explicitly made onscreen. But at least it fits with what was onscreen. However, there is NO onscreen support for ANY of the Franz Joseph numbers, excepting of course for the obvious NCC-1700, NCC-1701, NCC-1710, NCC-1017, and NCC-1371.

As you said, there is very little chance of a revisitation of the time period in question. However, while you say that means we'll not be seeing any further support of these numbers, I maintain that there is no need of any. And what it also means is that we'll (hopefully) not be seeing any contradictions of them.

As non-sensical as it may seem, it's best to stick to the officially-sanctioned numbers. It leaves fewer unsightly blank spaces in our shiplists.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't confuse 'official' with 'canon', Mim. Canon is what's only been seen on screen. And why are you so adamant that everything in the Encyclopedia is canon, when you've admitted that it has so many outright mistakes/inconsistencies?

[ January 19, 2002: Message edited by: Dax ]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Yes, there are mistakes in the Encyclopedia. But that's all they are: mistakes. Just about all of them are simply typos. (2 digits flipped in a registry number, a name misspelled, things like that. When you're typing a lot of numbers, don't you sometimes make an error?) It still doesn't invalidate the information that's presented.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Monkey-boy: Is that signature really necessary? On my screen, it comes out to a dozen lines, devoted entirely to bashing one person. I'm not saying you can't post that link or quote, but can't you shorten it all a bit?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps