Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Author, Author (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Author, Author
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unless they really didnt bother to relabel the model, all of the stock Excelsior footage orginated in Encounter at Farpoint, with the Enterprise and Excelsior in orbit shot, and the alongside shot (that end with them swinging away from each other).. so this would mean all the Excelsior footage from EaF, WNOHGB, Tinman, BoBW was 42296 (or 2000 if they didnt relabel).

The model itself however should have been labeled 2544 for the appearance as the Repulse in 'The Child' (which i dont believe was ever reused as stock bacuse the ships were stopped, rather than in motion like the more versatile EaF footage). Of course I'm assuming they relabeled it since it was a new shot created specifically for that episode, which they did relabel the shuttle model 2544 for.

After that, i cant recall any 'new' Excelsior appearances up until 'Emissary' where it was the Melbourne.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clear things up: There are TWO Excelsior stock shots we see throughout TNG:

1. USS Hood, NCC-42296. First seen in "Encounter at Farpoint", then afterwards as the Fearless in "Where No One Has Gone Before" and the Cairo in "Chain of Command", among appearances. The shot is a travelling shot with the Excelsior model on the STARBOARD side of the Enterprise, then it peels off and vanishes into the top of the screen as the camera follows the Enterprise from left to right. I'm fairly certain that this model is indeed marked as NCC-42296.

2. USS Repulse, NCC-2544. First seen in "The Child", and subsequently as the Potempkin in "Ethics", Admiral Hanson's flagship in "Best of Both Worlds", the Crazy Horse in "The Pegasus", etc. Contrary to the previous post, it *is* a travelling shot, following both the Enterprise and the Excelsior model from left to right - the Excelsior is first seen in an almost dead-on side elevation, and by the end of the shot we usually see the aft undercut. You can pick this shot out easily as it tends to be much more blue than the first shot, and the ship is travelling on the E-D's low PORT side. In its original appearance, this shot was complemented with another one seeing the Repulse's secondary hull and nacelles through the doors of the E-D's Shuttlebay Two.

Interestingly enough, on at least one occasion we've seen the show use BOTH shots to represent the same ship: one for when someone's beaming aboard, and the other for when the ship leaves. For this to be correct, the Excelsior class ship would have to be travelling in a parallel course, then for some reason switch to the other side of the Enterprise, travel along there for a while, and THEN leave. What's up with that?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very excited helmsman?

Speaking of registries on ship models, I've seen some screen caps of the DS9 battle footage in various episodes, and I've noticed that it seems the Galaxy class ships are nameless and don't even have a number. What's up with that?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Often the CGI models had no names or regs on them.

[ January 28, 2002, 20:26: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the exception of the USS Galaxy, NONE of the GCS in DS9's sixth or seventh seasons had markings. As Mojo pointed out earlier, in Trek CG effects unless the model could have the registry clearly visible, odds are that they won't bother. Digital Muse did most, if not all of the GCS in those episodes, and obviously didn't.

The *story* reason behind that can be found in the DS9TM: Sternbach establishes that frequently at the shipyards they rushed lots of ships out without bothering to properly christen them with real names or NCC numbers. Odds are they had numbers, at least, but they didn't bother to paint the hulls properly. Isn't this roughly analogous to all the hundreds of small combatant vessels it the World Wars that only got a number?

Mark

[ January 28, 2002, 20:32: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That seems sorta...lame. No offense to the modelers, of course. [Smile]

I mean, it's not like we can actually read the name or number clearly. They could have just used one medium sized name like "Venture" or "Trinculo" right?

Why wasn't this the case for the Mirandas and Excelsiors, too? They labeled the Majestic, Hood, and the Valley Forge...

[ January 29, 2002, 13:04: Message edited by: Ace ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sitak and Majestic got labelled in all likelihood because they were front-and-centre and a missing registry would look a little jarring.

Stipes and Digital Muse went out of their way in "Tears..." to do ship names, based on the subsequent online postings and the general virtual self-backslapping.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sorry, accidental post*

[ January 29, 2002, 18:21: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the combined use of the two stock Excelsior shots, the explanation seems pretty simple: After X hours of flight, the sunny sides of the ships began to get a bit hot, so the helmsmen nodded to each other over the comm line and performed a 180 degree roll in perfect synchrony...

The cameraman (with a side-mounted camera shooting at straight angles to the flightpath of his camera boat) sighed and performed a 180 degree yaw to compensate, then noticed that this would not only mean the ships were now going left when they had been going right in the previous shot, but also that he'd have to fly backwards the rest of the trip, sighed again, and piloted his little camera boat to the other side of the starship pair in a wide arc. And then the bastards rolled AGAIN.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps