Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Disrespectful Naming of Starships (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Disrespectful Naming of Starships
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always nice to name ships after people, places, etc., but I've noticed that certain ships that are destoryed in Star Trek are named after people and things that either died or failed.

For example:

USS Grissom, Oberth-Class
"Named for Virgil Grissom killed in the Apollo 1 fire"
Ship destroyed by Klingons.

USS Odyssey, Galaxy-Class
"Named for Apollo 13 command module"
Ship destroyed by Dominion.

USS Malinche, Excelsior-Class
"Named for Mexican princess 'offered' to Spanish conquistadors "
Ship disabled by Maquis.

One notable exception is the USS Challenger. Perhaps the event is too sensitive? Anyway, I find it odd and a little disrespectful, even a little sick, with this type of name choosing. If the Odyssey was named for the original naval ship that the Apollo 13 module was named after, I'd understand but TPTB specifically state it was named after the module. Perhaps the greatest disrespect is to Virgil Grissom. Name a ship after him just to blow it up?

Thoughts?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're reaching.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto what Mal said. And where did you hear that Odyssey was named after the module? It's more likely it was named after Homer's Odyssey.

As for Grissom...an astronaut (or scientist if you will) for a science ship.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It makes more sense for the USS Odyssey to be named after the epic poem by Homer. Consider that the names of the Galaxy-class starships are named for grandiose things (excepting the Yamato, I imagine). You have the Galaxy, the Enterprise, the Challenger, and the Venture. Some would include the Magellan, but there's not much to make a definite determination. You have a big place, a big idea, the worst American space disaster, and another big idea. The epic poem fits in better with the scheme than the failed moon landing.

Now, I can see some disrespect with naming two ships Grissom and having them both destroyed by Klingons, but I highly doubt that there is anything intentional about it. It just seems to be a repetition of names (like the Farragut and Lexington, for example).

Now, as for Malinche and Cortez, I have to wonder who the heck is researching the names. You have the Native American women offered to Cortez (I believe) and who is seen a huge traitor and deserving of nothing but disrespect and dishonor by many of the natives of the former Aztec area. And then you have Cortez, the man who conquered the Aztecs at too big a price. Those were certainly two poor choices for ship names.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Star Trek Encyclopedia specifically states in the entry for USS Odyssey that the ship was named for the command module of Apollo 13. It makes no mention that it was named after Homer's epic (a much better reason to name it Odyssey). All my info is coming from the Encyclopedia which is where I noticed these wierd reasons to name ships. I like the name Odyssey, but I don't like the idea that they specifically chose it to "honor" Apollo 13. The starship blew up! Did they really think they were being "cool"?

Just who is choosing these names?

[ January 27, 2002, 20:40: Message edited by: Ace ]

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt its on purpose. Odyssey is just a cool name. Sometimes a duck is just a duck rather than a chicken in disguise.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did they name the Yamato after, the same thing that the Japanese battleship was named after?

The Yamato seem to fit in more with your theory, after all it was the first galaxy to blow up LOL.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously we've hit upon the secret hegemonic subtext of the "Star Trek" mythology.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yamato is certainly named for hte WWII battleship. Alternatively she could have been named specifically in reference to the 1970s anime of the same name, which is likely considering the strange number of anime references in the early TNG seasons.

Typically though, ship names are determined by (duh) the writers. I seriously doubt any writer woudl check on the ship lists in the Encyclopedia or online; heck, given the chance most writers would rather add a name of their own to the canon rather than copy some other guy's previous work.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why name the galaxy Yamato after a overgunned warship that [fought for the expansion of
an empire] during a time period where aircraft carriers were surpassing battleships. and eventualy got slagged?

If there is a Hood, I guess there is a Bismark[sp?].

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Yamato has the distinction of having been the largest battleship EVER. Ditto for mounting the largest-bore gun ever, at 18.1 inches (Iowa-class ships mounted 16-inch guns).

http://www.ussyorktown.com/yorktown/battleship.htm

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that a large number of the ships mentioned are destroyed somehow, I doubt it factors into the naming process. They probably say "We need a ship. What's a good name?", not "We need a ship to blow up. What's a bad name?".
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember from the Ron Moore AOL days, there was a lot of flack kicked up about the naming of the Malinche and how it was disrespecful to Mexicans and how the writers were therefore morons. Moore kindly reminded them that Rene Echevarria named the ship and that he is Mexican.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard this reservation about Grissom before, probably on this board. I think it's unfortunate, but I think they intended to honor Gus by naming a ship after him. If they were intending to blow that ship up, any name attached to it is going to be disrespected somewhat. Anyways, what percentage of named ships seen on screen get blown up in Star Trek? I bet it's pretty high.

Regarding naming starships after Japanese ships in service of imperialist expansion, we also have Kongo and Akagi, of course. Yamato is an ancient name for Japan. Playing devil's advocate, I ask what would you all think if they had starships with the names of vessels used by Japan's ally, Nazi Germany. Would people get upset if we had USS Graf Spee or USS Bismarck? But one could argue that these ships were named after the pre-Nazi persons rather than the earlier ships.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reguarding the Odyssey - I too think Homer's Odyssey. Magellan - he was the first to cicrumnavigate the Earth... a fitting name for a Galaxy class starship.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps