Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Interesting Webpage About Voyager's NCC Number... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Interesting Webpage About Voyager's NCC Number...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.neelix.fslife.co.uk/bts_74656.htm

No source is cited. Anyone ever heard of this before?

Mark

[ January 28, 2002, 10:03: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it sounds reasonable, but my suspicion is that this sort of thing would go more along the lines of "Hey, got any numbers yet?" "What about 74656?" "Sounds great. Hey, have you had lunch yet?"

But what do I know? Very little.

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Berman's return reply:

"ack whatever, fans shmans...I think I will choose my lottery number" [Big Grin]

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from Stephen Poe's "The Making of Star Trek: Voyager", IIRC.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, it's from Poe's book. Berman picked it, with no real reason ever offered. Sternbach had preliminarily plopped 73xxx on the pointy-nosed study model, hadn't he?

[ January 27, 2002, 23:20: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish Okuda had sent such a memo to Alex Jaeger.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's nice to know that they at least put up the pretense of caring.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The proto-Voyager is 73602, The_Tom. BTW, I think the proto would be a nice contendor for the Bradbury-class. Both the rego and the design itself seem fitting. And then we have those rumours that the model was used in "A Time to Stand" or such.

As for 74656. I once read something about Berman deriving the number from the 747 plane. So we have the first two digits, then 6-5+6=7. This also works for the Defiant 74205. First two digits, then 2-0+5=7.

[ January 28, 2002, 08:16: Message edited by: Dax ]

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had always thought the proto-V would be a good Bradbury too.. i was wondering if anyone shared my opinion.. i even went so far as to use a retouched picture of it in my [URL=http://www.geocities.com/captainmike47/Galactopedia/b4.html#Bradbury, U.S.S.]Bradbury[/URL] entry. [edit: which is a broken pic link until i upload tonight.. sorry]

Maybe we could get Okuda/Sternbach/Drexler to give us their blessing in defining that class as that ship.. they seem to control all the sources of starship reference material.

[ January 28, 2002, 09:52: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually would have preferred the Mercury-class Proto-Voyager to the final product. I think it looks better since its more angular than curvy.

What I find interesting about Okuda's memo, though, is that he left out any explanation for the Grissom 638 being stuck in the middle of the Enterprise 1701, the Reliant 1864, and the Excelsior 2000. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
I actually would have preferred the Mercury-class Proto-Voyager to the final product. I think it looks better since its more angular than curvy.

What I find interesting about Okuda's memo, though, is that he left out any explanation for the Grissom 638 being stuck in the middle of the Enterprise 1701, the Reliant 1864, and the Excelsior 2000. [Big Grin]

It's old.

There's no reason to assume that the Oberth-Class as seen in ST3 and later was the original configuration, using the original engine design.

Indeed, it just crossed my mind that the saucer section of the Oberth rather resembles the top half of a Moskva Class ship, which, though not the slightest bit canon, does make a good show of showing development between primary hull spheres and primary hull saucers.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also no reason to assume that just because the Oberth looks "newer" than the original Connnies, that they are in fact newer. Even though they have nacelles that look more advanced, how do we know they are? Just look at Enterprise. It looks more advanced the the Connie too, but it isn't.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seigfried: Where did you get the "Mercury class" name from?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goodness, I certainly whooshed all of you, didn't I? And I even included the joke smiley, too. Sheesh, y'all.

Dukhat: I got Mercury class from somewhere online, possibly from a transcript of The Art of Star Trek or Star Trek Magazine (whichever one featured the two most popular pictures of the prototype model). Also, from the top of the page Mark posed about:

quote:
Michael Okuda sent Rick Berman a dozen or so possible names for Voyager's starship class. Berman originally chose Mercury but later changed his mind and decided it should be Intrepid.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So would the Defiants registry have been chosen before or after Voyager's was decieded?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps