Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Mojo, do you have the Encyclopedia? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mojo, do you have the Encyclopedia?
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently got a copy for $5 (hardcover!) of the latest edition at a mall bookstore. You might find it handy, and since your book is being published by the same company Pocket Books, I'd imagine they'd give you a copy. Not only does it offer many, easily-overlooked facts like registries, history, etc., the book also answers some of your previous questions such as whether a ship survived Wolf 359?
Under the entry for Captain Amasov, it says his ship the Endeavour survived (I guess it's official now). I assume that anything listed as a regular entry (not in italics) is Paramount's official stance on the issue.

[ January 28, 2002, 15:28: Message edited by: Ace ]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the latest edition of the Encyclopedia a softcover? I've got the hardcover, and the latest edition is just a softbound version of the same thing with a 128-page supplement at the back detailing all the extra stuff that happened through to the end of Deep Space Nine, Voyager's fifth season, and Insurrection. I don't have that edition, as I believe the only thing worth getting it for would be the cutaway of the USS Prometheus. [Smile]

Besides, I've liked Mojo's queries on these forums, as not only does he get the right answers (eventually), he also gets the answers from the fans, which tends to clear up lots of the inconsistencies in the Encyclopedia and on the show. And that's been plenty fun for us!

Mark

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I've had that "latest edition" in hardcover for two years now. Got it through Amazon, but the only things I see in stores now are the paperback ones.
Not to be rude, Ace, but, the encyclopedia is where we got the Endeavour-Wolf 359 thing from. We didn't see "Scorpion" and say, "He must've been at Wolf 359!"

--------------------
Meh

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Mojo, if you do use the Encyclopedia as a resource, there are a number of errors (mostly registry numbers) you should be aware of. Most of them, just about anyone here on this board can clear up.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not suggesting he abandon us. [Big Grin]

See, I've previously only flipped through the book a few times in the book store. I have a CD-ROM version of the thing, but it is the 98 version, not "3.0." I've found that some of the facts recorded are pretty nice to have in one place. For, example, the Cardassian entry lists the events (such as treaties and such) very clearly, and Mojo might find it useful for dates as well (with the short version of the Chronology at the end).

As the others have said, there are errors, though, with diagrams (Brattain, Yeager with an 81000 registry) and registry number mix-ups (the Zhukov: 26xxx or 62xxx. I like 26xxx) and name mix-ups( is it Saber or Sabre? [Smile] ).

Hmmm...my edition is hardcover but it has the 128 pages with Insurrection and Prometheus data...

[ January 28, 2002, 17:47: Message edited by: Ace ]

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Saber."
At least, that's what I'll forever call it; I'll never spell it the silly British "Sabre" way! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Meh

Evolved
Member # 389

Ha! Looks like they corrected the Saber spelling in this edition. I must have been thinking about the previous edition...

...so once again. It is Saber. I'm sure you love that, Veers.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things in the encyclopedia and chronology can be changed, Ace. Dont subscribe to that 'Its in Okuda's book so it must be true' bullshit. Theyve already gone about changing things from previous versions, so its a helpful guidebook but not really a good indicator of what could be canon in the future..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*fumes*

Sabre. Sabre. Sabre.

They even spell it that way in Buffalo.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saybur...

Yes, I have the Encyclopedia (in fact I recently learned I am in the acknowledgments). I'm using it extensively and it's where where I learned that the Endeavor survived Wolf 359 :-)

Of course, I don't plan on making any of my text final until I've had a chance to run the facts past you lot first!

Hey, look! I figured out how to add pics to my posts! I'm starting to really get the hang of these computers... maybe I'll be tempted to post more juicy pictures in the weeks ahead.

[ January 28, 2002, 19:25: Message edited by: Mojo ]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Mark's subconscious posting. Mark's conscious mind has unfortunately gone into shock after seeing the above image. Before doing so, Mark was overheard in his office to say "HOLY FRICK THAT'S COOL!!!!" before becoming catatonic. Hopefully, Mark shall recover shortly to offer more meaningful commentary on the above image.

Mark's Subconscious

[Edit: Stoopid reality changing stoopid pics on me before I can finish posting about how cool it is. Oh well, this one is also... Groovy. [Smile] ]

[ January 28, 2002, 20:21: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Evolved
Member # 389

Hehe, the British and their extra u's like in colour and Endeavour [Wink] .

The picture...is interesting! LOL, I first saw a Galaxy class image from the 2002 calender, but I see you changed it, Mojo.

[ January 28, 2002, 19:34: Message edited by: Ace ]

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh heh yeah I changed it to something more appropriate - for all of those wondering, it WAS the January image from the 2002 Ships of the Line calendar. Now it's cooler.

Mark: You obviously need a calendar!

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, I think I like this one better.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
!!Broken Link!!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps