Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Hi (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Hi
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just want to say hello.

'Hello!'.

OK, here's the real reason why I'm here. Found this board several months ago, but never had the time to post (but thanks to Flatrate, I finally have [Smile] ). I think now it's time to start. Read through the topics and I really have to say: wow. This seems to be the right place.

No first post without a reason: I hope anyone can help me (sorry if this has been dicussed over and over again, but you know, my license plate still reads 'newbie'.). Does anyone have any information regarding the mysterious little type of ship we all know as the 'Yeager-class'? I searched the net for hours but all I found was the 'we had the same idea at the same time'-story regarding her namesake, a member of the Sabre-class and the 'this has been confirmed by a guy at paramount'-tale. Don't know if I can believe it or not, but there has to be a name or something.
Or is this some kind of 'Centaur-joke'? I mean the fact that everyone believes the Centaur was a member of the Centaur-class. Maybe only the ship's name was Yeager? Any registry maybe?

And before you ask: Yes, I am the guy from the TrekBBS, thanks for spreading the information about the 'Ron Moore', MMoM! [Cool]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Cpt. Kyle Amasov and welcome to Flare!

From the Star Trek Encyclopedia:

"Yeager, U.S.S. Federation starship, Saber-class, Starfleet registry number NCC-61947. The Yeager was among the ships defending Sector 001 against the Borg incursion of 2373. (Star Trek: First Contact). Named for test pilot Chuck Yeager, the first human to fly faster than the speed of sound."

Of course we in the UK spell the class name in the correct fashion: S-A-B-R-E. [Big Grin] [Wink]

I have heard rumours of another sort of ship using the name Yeager - but it was for a class, the one on page 158 of the DS9TM I believe.

Hope that helps you in your search Cpt. Kyle Amasov!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

(D'OH! Forgot the quotation marks! Silly me!)

[ February 03, 2002, 12:44: Message edited by: akb1979 ]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heya Amasov,

The Yeager is believed to be a kitbash mixing Revell-Monogram's Intrepid and Maquis Raider models into a somewhat sloppy ship we see circling the station in some of the shots from the late 5th season onwards. (The various models are built to different scales, so it makes for a peculiar dilemma when explaining this thing's origins.)

Apparently, the modelmakers dubbed her the Yeager (I don't think we're sure whether the actual ship was named this or the design was named this), and unbeknownst to them Alex Jaeger had already slapped the same name on his Sabre CGI model for use during the Borg battle in ST:FC.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the Centaur, it is (or should be, damn it!) more proper to refer to it as a Centaur type ship, rather than class.
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
As for the Centaur, it is (or should be, damn it!) more proper to refer to it as a Centaur type ship, rather than class.

I don't like the term 'Centaur-class'. But either it's a 'class' or nothing at all. We surely could call it a Centaur-type, but that wouldn't hepl that much. The Centaur is the only ship of that class currently known, so just saying 'the Centaur' is all right, IMO. I really hope it's not a standard-Excelsior. I mean, how long did the war last until we saw the ship and the Shelly? Three months? Do you really think Starfleet could kitbash several new ships in three months?

Now the rest:
quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
I have heard rumours of another sort of ship using the name Yeager - but it was for a class, the one on page 158 of the DS9TM I believe.

Yup. That's the one I mean. The ugly thing from the DS9TM.

Who came up with the class designation 'Yeager'? Is there anyone out there who might know more about the ship's name or NCC? I concidered asking Okuda, but I have no idea if he knows.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Of course we in the UK spell the class name in the correct fashion: S-A-B-R-E."

For "correct" read "French".

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're never going to see the Centaur again, so might as well call it a Centaur-class ship and have done with it. Either that, or give it the name of a class we know exists but have never seen: Chimera-class is my own preference.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, calling it "Centaur-class" is like suggesting that the Centaur just happened to be the class ship. Which is much less likely than its being just a random production ship.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the word was adapted from the French, why should we change the spelling, oh great Nixpicker. Besides, "Saber" conflicts with the correct spellings of "Centre" and "Litre" [Wink]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no such thing as an absolutely correct spelling. Spellings change. The meanings of words change.

I prefer Sabre because it looks more feminine, more appropriate for a ship. On the other hand, Alex Jaeger spelled it "Saber" in an e-mail. The Steamrunner was to have been STREAMrunner also (after a song of a Christian band, the Zandura is something on that album also IIRC), but it accidentally got approved as Steamrunner, which is ok by him (high-tech/low-tech combo).

As for the Centaur, the DS9TM explains that *some* of the kitbashes were deemed good enough to become full classes, which is consistent with the fact that most haven't been seen again. One really has to match the Star Trek and the real-world situations, in which almost every kitbash is a one-off ship. Therefore, it's more likely that the Centaur, being a kitbash, is a classless ship.

[ February 03, 2002, 18:47: Message edited by: Phelps ]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, the Zandura is named after a group called Fold Zandura. Found this out after doing a web search on the Zandura, hoping to find any information I didn't already know.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phelps:
Therefore, it's more likely that the Centaur, being a kitbash, is a classless ship.

Of course, officially, it's an Excelsior-class variant.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'For "correct" read "French".'

For "correct" read "used by almost all the English speaking world appart from that one country that doesn't seem to realise that it didn't actually invent the language, and that yes, "Pakie" isn't a good way to refer to people from Pakistan".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because the war started three-months before the Centaur was seen doesn't mean that in the Star Trek timeline they had three months to get the ship ready or it was it's own Class. I have the feeling that Starfleet would have started to work on getting together an emergency fleet ever since the first Borg incursion. Among those ships could have been a bunch of salvaged partial builds that are stored away in mothballs until they are needed.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given that the Centaur had an NCC number, it goes against Sternbach's notion that lots of the kitbashed ships were sent out without them. I'm in camp that says the Centaur is a member of some class contemporary with the Excelsior - possibly with some ties with the Constellation class, given all the crap that's all over the underside (and possibly top?) of the saucer.

Mark <--- Ah pity d'foo who likes this starship!

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps