Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Pathfinder 4 nacelle

Author Topic: Pathfinder 4 nacelle
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As mentioned in the DS9 TM. I was wondering what everyone thought about it.

The description of it is that the ship was built as a high-speed long endurance courier, like the Constellation and Cheyenne. I was wondering if anyone else pictured the Prometheus when they first heard of a four nacelled pathfinder. Obviously that's not true. While both the Pathfinder and the Prometheus are related in similar function [fighting ships], the 4-nacelled pathfinder isn't mentioned as being a fighter.

So, if it isn't the Prometheus, does that mean it looks more like the pathfinder with an extra set of nacelles? I know I'm getting into a kitbashed picture of this, but that might be where it's heading to begin with. A Nova-like ship with another set of angled nacelles on the ventral side. Of course, the biggest question in my mind is other aspects of the ship.

Is it bigger, smaller?
Is the area where the weapons were removed and sensors put in further modified to be cargo space only?
The Nova was slower than syrup in winter compared to modern ships... does this 4N-Nova have a similar top speed but for 24, instead of 12 hours? [I believe that four nacelle ships can be faster over 12 hours, if all four nacelles are powered up, thus producing a stronger cochrane field. At the same time I believe they have a stronger endurance over longer time periods if only two nacelles are used.] --- What does this question imply about the 1000 ly/year efficency barrier?

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might help with visualization:

Scroll down to find the 4-nacelled Nova

Anyway, when I read the DS9TM mention of this ship, I just thought to see pretty much what I did above. As for "other" differences, I'd imagine the secondary deflector to still be there, while perhaps losing the small torpedo launchers on the front. The big differences would likely be on th inside, with the removal of all the science labs (which would likely be semi-modular anyway), and the addition of VIP quarters, a lounge or two, and the expansion of the existing quarters to standard ones (the Equinox showed barracks-style quarters a la Star Trek VI).

Also remember that the 1000ly/y efficiency barrier doesn't mean that a ship would be travelling at warp 9+ all the time. Warp 8.whatever is probably more manageable in terms of energy requirements and hull stress, and alternating sets of nacelles would greatly help in this respect.

Mark

[ February 08, 2002, 09:42: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, is this from your page Mark? Anyway... I pictured the 4 nacelle version of the Pathfinder the same way. I've always referred to the ship as the Nova Class USS Nova because if this ship became the basis for the rest of the Nova Class starships and the Defiant Class is associated with a different design, then why not make it into the first Nova class and build the copies as science ships while keeping the 2 nacelle version the way it is pictured in the DS9 Tech Manual and name the 4 nacelle version USS Pathfinder.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't quite understand you... are you saying that the USS Nova had 4 nacelles and that there are two versions of the Nova Class, 2 nacelle surveyor and 4 nacelle courier?

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO, No, no... what I said mostly was a guess.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps