Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Species 8472 Bioship

Author Topic: Species 8472 Bioship
Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bought the Starship Spotter guide (Aus $42.35, in case your wondering) and noticed that it states that the 8472 bioship has the ability to change shape. Now I can't remeber but was this shown in Scorpian? I do know that some people think that there are two different classes of bioships so i'm thinking not.

Was this just something for the book or was a test made of a transforamtion sequence and then dummped due to time or money constraints?

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's canon data.

Side note, in Armada2, 8472 grow their ships from larvae.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I believe it is!

Take a close look at the ship when it's first spotted in "Scorpion, Part I." It's mainly a long, thin rod without the wings. Then, when the ship powers up, the wings extend for flight.

Also, in "Part II" you can see the ship rippling in a way when it fires. (Reminded me of the effect of the Shadow "spitfire" fighters from B5.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a bio ship so it could grow extra/replacement parts . . . maybe.

Anyone got Star Trek Armada 2? I've heard that Species 8472 are featured in it - is that true and if so, can you post some screenshots of them?

Cheers!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes^ hence my post above

They are not only featured in it, they have missions centered around them and they talk in creepy voices like "evoooolving"

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A2? Yes. You could say so. The morphing problem caused some headache in A1 (in other words: not possible), but since the required parts are not hardcoded anymore, you can do the following:
There's a mother, the main base. It evolves passive and active embryos. The passives later develop - morph - into other structures like biomatter collectors and spacerift-portal-things and such stuff while the actives become units like scouts and destroyers. Other than the Federation the 8472-units look pretty good. But there are still guys in the community who can do it much better. [Wink]
Any questions, ask. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think theres a few shots where you can clearly see the ships 'squish' ad they preform diffrent manuvers.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also: when they blew up that Borg planet, the ship in the center of their fancy energy beam had its arms pushed forward and extended out. It could have been a different ship, or it could have changed its shape.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know... I wish I'd thought of that. Instead of being a different ship, that "planetkiller" is probably the same kind of ship in a different shape!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 8472 Bioships did indeed have wings that could extend or fold in.

The ship at the center of the planet killing beam was a slight model variation and we called it the 'focusing' ship, since it took all the energies from the other ships' beams and focused it into a large burst (a la Death Star).

Mojo

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps