Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Interesting Fact Files Akira-Class Note (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Interesting Fact Files Akira-Class Note
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think the akira is older. Ok.

But as a CG artist and a ship designer myself, i respect the wishes of the original desinger and go by his specs and backround story, not anyone elses.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"i respect the wishes of the original desinger and go by his specs and backround story"

Yeah, especially when the designer is simply hired for FX work by the actual creative forces behind the show, and knows dick all about any or all conventions of the television show.

Jaeger designed a nifty ship or two, granted, but he was simply asked to make a nifty ship or two to blow up, not to take over Rick's job. That's why they had Rick.

My sister could design a starship that shot out cookies, but I doubt anyone would accept it, even if it were her original design intention. There's a difference between accepting something that has thought and coherence put into it, and something that has Frenchman Fanboy's Crank Pipe invested into it, because he think's "it'll look cool."

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMMMMM shoots cookies

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Proteus:
You think the akira is older. Ok.

But as a CG artist and a ship designer myself, i respect the wishes of the original desinger and go by his specs and backround story, not anyone elses.

That's your decision, and I respect that and the spirit in which it is made . . . but (you knew there was a "but" coming), considering how many autoerotic fanboy fantasy ships, dumb designs, and stupid backstories for vessel classes that there are out there, I'd rather take designs and stories . . . whether the ship itself is canon or not . . . with a dash of reason.

G2k

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally don't feel any kind of obligation to remain true to what the designer intended (see issues like Enterprise-, Avenger-, and Valiant-classes) but I do care what the final intention of what was put on screen was. And at no point in the production of FC was it EVER suggested that these classes be older. In fact, the idea was quite the opposite: to show off to the viewers the nifty new toys SF had developed to combat the Borg. The battle scenes were supposed to be us "getting a little of our own back" from the defeat of Wolf 359. They kicked our asses, and then we came back with some better ships and kicked theirs.

The whole bit about these ships being older is purely an invention of the members on this board. You guys made it up.

quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
I'm tired of people saying "it looks 'newer' to me therefore it has to be newer."

And I'm tired of people saying "Look, that ship has a registry number that begins with a 6. It must predate the Galaxy-class."

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Kind of like the exception disproving the rule, nice solid logic that.

Can you actually name all of these instances of the registry system being ignored?
By my count there is around 6-10 serious inconsistencies out of about 180 NCC or NX registered ships, that's hardly an overwhelming majority.

Think really hard about that. You need only ONE exception to show that a rule does not apply to all cases.

You're right, it's no majority at all. The FC ships just happen to be one of those 6-10 examples of gaps in the supposed chronological system.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ February 12, 2002, 16:45: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, think of this issue in another set of terms: even if we are to make these ships fit with a chronological registry system, they need not actually be older ships in order to do it.

What's wrong with the story from the Starship Spotter that the Akira was conceived during the Cardassian War (and thus would have been issued its block of registries at that point) but never actually came to fruition until 2368, when the post-Wolf 359 atmosphere became more condusive of that sort of design development.

This alternate theory could easily be applied to the other FC ships and presto! We reconcile the registries with the design and the presentation of the ships without ever having to walk all over anybody's intentions.

The point is that there ir more than just one possibility here. Why are you all so hellbent on trying to promote only one, especially when there are less complex and more likely explanations?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knock knock knock.... anyone home?

I never stated that the Akira and group was built in 2340's or refit in 2360's, etc etc etc. I don't care when the ships were designed or built... all I care about is that someone out there decided there was going to be an Akira Class Starship in 2340's and gave them NCCs-- that's the contention I'm trying to argue.

Personally it really doesn't matter when the exact dates are. I prefer to have the Akira design when it got it's NCCs sometime in the early part of 2340's, or even the late 2330's. But the design was shelved because it was too radical and would take away from the Galaxy Class Project. Give it a few years, and then the ship is built. --- but that wasn't what I was arguing about. I was contending that NCCs are chronological, and there is nothing about the Akira that prevents this from being true.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Then we've been arguing over nothing. I apologize.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
And at no point in the production of FC was it EVER suggested that these classes be older. In fact, the idea was quite the opposite: to show off to the viewers the nifty new toys SF had developed to combat the Borg.

Where did that come from? I read that the ships were designed with two thoughts in mind . . . "cool, never before seen stuff" (the "Oh, look, we have a budget, and CGI, too!" reason) and "something that will contrast with the new, whoop-ass Sovereign Class in fleet scenes", and probably the Defiant, too. Jaeger, then, would have taken this to heart, hence he avoided anything remotely resembling the old-fashioned configuration of the Constitution, Excelsior, Ambassador, et cetera.

That's how the whole catamaran hull thing came to be for Akira and Norway, with the Saber and dumbass Steamrunner being other alterations of the norm.

(I personally prefer the Norway . . . it's different, but looks more like a Starfleet ship than the others with its almost-normal Galaxy type nacelles . . . more like a runabout's, really, but a good try, all the same.)

G2k

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps