Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Romulan Warbird (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Romulan Warbird
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what ever it is from TOS - "Balance of Terror" - the good people over at Trek 5 have nice new screen caps up and look at this one:

http://www.trek5.com/caps/tos/09_BOT/images/09BOT_052.jpg

It is the first time I've really noticed that the bussard collectors are INDEED blue!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a Bird of Prey, BTW. [Razz]

Nice shot, I always search for high quality screenshots of TOS. Thanks for sharing the info. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do people assume its a Bird of Prey? Was it ever called that?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, now I'll have to go change my AMT model... [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's called a bird of prey in the Encyclopedia. And there's a large, impressive predatory bird painted on the underside. You figure it out. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Klingons originally had the BOP, in the form of the D7 class, and the Romulans had the Warbird, although, during a short lived alliance during the 2260's, the Klingons traded ship designs to the Romulans for cloaking devices, giving the Romulans the D7 BOP, although other Romulan ships were probably called BOPs. All though, truth be told, a race situated in unclaimed territory between the Romulan and Klingon empires called the Birdans came up with the idea of the big bird of prey, which was copied by both, the Romulans and Klingons.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good one there. [Roll Eyes]
Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, for Unseen Frontier, for our Enterprise Incident shots we're going to paint a Bird of Prey on the Klingon ships. It's a change from canon to be sure, but you know the Romulans would have done it and so would the producers had they the money!

Besides, it looks way cool.

Mojo

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It certainly does, I did a retouch of the FF diagram a while back, it looked cool but the neck section gave me bit of trouble.
Also I think one of the aborted TOS games depicted a Romulan D-7 like this.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boo yah! Up with subtle but kickass changes to the canon! [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crusher: The D-7 is NOT the Bird of Prey. The D-7 and later K't'inga are Klingon battlecruisers. The Bird-of-Prey is an entirely different affair, first seen in Star Trek III.

The Romulan Warbird was first seen in "The Neutral Zone"[TNG]. "Balance of Terror"[TOS] featured a Bird of Prey.

Also, Mark:

If you like slightly played with canon, take a look at the gentle blue glow of the nacelles of this TOS Constitution mod from a player of the game Klingon Academy. (They brighten when you go to warp.)

http://www.3dactionplanet.com/klingonacademy/images/modpics/kt/tmp4.jpg

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also I think one of the aborted TOS games depicted a Romulan D-7 like this.
The FASA roleplayer

[ February 14, 2002, 11:23: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what one of them is but it was going to be a PC game called Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury. The painted up D7 appeared briefly in a cutscene as it decloaked.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes... i remember that games hype.. i wish they had really made it! there was a promo movie included on a CD rom i bought, i copied it but then lost it to a crash. it had the most incredible animation (in the preview) the scenes of the mindmeld and the 1701 bridge with Kirk spinning around to look at the screen were the best CGI ive ever seen on moving characters.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH YES! I downloaded that video it was a shame it never went ahead! I wish I could see that again - anyone know where the file might be!?!

The animation was good - there was this great scene where the Enterprise is escaping from this explosion... I would have to say it is the first time that the TOS Enterprise looked like it was REAL - something that is really physical - instead of "model-y" as in TOS (although I'm sure it didn't look like that to people when they first saw the Enterprise in the sixties.)

The only thing that annoyed me in that video were those shuttles that looked like the Empire Shuttle Tydirium SP? from Return of the Jedi... and some noises sounded like Empirial ships from Star Wars etc. the tie-fighter noise? It's been a while since I saw it. I remember the bit with Spock raising his eyebrown and a closeup of McCoy... I guess that would have been one of the last things DeForrest Kelly must have lent his voice to?

Andrew

Boys in the girls room; girls in the mens room
You free your mind and your androgeny

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps