Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ST Encyclopedia (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ST Encyclopedia
Admiral Forest
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering if anyone knew if there was
going to be an update to the Encyclopedia or
not. I currently have the 2nd edition with
the 107-page expansion.

IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here, here!

And what about the Chronology. It's horribly outdated (no pun intended).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess that would be up to Mike Okuda & Pocket Books. However, since the expansion part of the 'pedia was quite lackluster in both quality and information, I doubt that a new version will be appearing anytime soon. Plus the fact that PB has said no to future tech manuals, this does not bode well for other books.

And Harry's right, the Chronology is far, far outdated. If you want my opinion, I think that if TPTB are going to ignore most of Okuda's info (both official & speculation), then it's probably not worth his time & effort to write newer versions. Of course, there's the money factor, but that's also why we have a Series Five.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pocket Books has said no to *any* new tech manuals...even for Enterprise? That seems somewhat short sighted. You've got a brand new series with tech and stuff that noone's ever heard of...you could put together a huge tech manual.

Anyway...that blows. But no, I don't think there will be anymore Encyclopedias.

[ February 11, 2002, 12:24: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that part of the reasoning is that it's too expensive for too little return to keep putting out edition after edition of encyclopediae, editing and changing each one so as to avoid constant addition of appendices.

It would be especially incomplete during the run of Enterprise, with the whole (yeah, they got that, but what about what happend before?) thing going on. Better to wait at least until the end of Enterprise's run.

Plus the things are just getting too thick... they're going to have to do it in volumes, pretty soon.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not so much that Pocket isn't interested in Technical Manuals, it's that Pocket isn't interested in Technical Manuals the way Rick Sternbach wanted to make them. There were apparently considerable creative differences between Mr. Sternbach and Pocket during the crafting of the DS9TM, with Pocket squeezing the timetable somewhat and wanting stuff rewritten and who knows what else, presumably to make the things more sellable, I guess. Pocket was open to a Voyager Tech Manual as well, but apparently Rick didn't like the size of the advance offered and was a bit wary to working under similar conditions.

As for the Okudas, apparently time commitments have prevented them from embarking upon new and grandiose book projects.

[ February 11, 2002, 13:12: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What they should do: Come out with a new encyclopedia with only information on DS9's 7th season and Voyager's 5th, 6th, and 7th years. Then, in 2008, when Enterprise should complete its run, come out with an Enterprise encyclopedia.

--------------------
Meh

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC the Encyclopedia 2.5 is current to the end of DS9 and Voyager's fifth season, leaving Voyager's 6th and 7th and now Enterprise. Also, if Enterprise is a big hit, I doubt they'd wait seven years to do a single volume on the show.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, 2.5 only details DS9's end up to "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River" and Voyager's 5th season up to "Once Upon a Time."

--------------------
Meh

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. Coulda sworn that the book contains elements of both shows to the end of those respective seasons...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has the episode names, I know that much. But I don't think that the entries are fully up to date.

(Dan is currently too lazy to get up and walk across the room to check...)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It contains the major events of the final episodes of DS9 (what happened to the main characters) but doesn't cover the details of the episodes.

Quote:
"This special supplement to the 1997 edition of the Star Trek Encyclopedia includes several episodes from the 1996-1997 seasons of Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine that were not included in the 1997 edition. It includes the entirety of the 1997-1998 seasons of both shows, as well as the first few episodes of the 1998-1999 season. We have also snuck in a few datapoints from the final episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine to indicate the fates of some of the principal characters. Please note, however, that we did not provide full coverage for these episodes. The supplement also includes material from Star Trek: Insurrection."

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They could at least update the StarTrek.com library, and add a timeline here and there.

But it looks like it's up to the fans to do new (online) Pedias and Chronologies..

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I didn't by the annoying Edition 2 with supplement Encyc. I have ed 1 and 2 both in hardcover.

I want an edition 3 with all TOS, TNG, movies, DS9 and Voyager. I guess they can add season 1 ENT - but I'm not really worried about that.

I want nice proper diagrams... of all known ships - and I'd like them all to be in the same style - not all different. Those 'people' pictures could be a little better. More 'unseen' photos. And a correction of that bloody Jemmie cruiser! (Oh and them saying that there are two sizes of the D'Deridex... the huge mutha from "The Neutral Zone" and the smaller versions from eps like "Tin Man". (yeah I know a few of you don't like that idea. I do NOT want to see those hideous kit-bashed ships as seen in the DS9TM - some of them were clearly a bad attempt at making new ships - i.e. the 'Intrepid/Connie' bash - that was clearly the original Voyager design - but they tried creating that ship using (mostly) preexisting diagrams.
Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I want a toilet made out of solid gold, but it's just not in the cards, now, is it baby? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps