Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Registry for the Nenebek

Author Topic: Registry for the Nenebek
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the registry number NAR-2066 given in some places for the Nenebek from TNG "Final Mission" but it's not given in a lot of places.

What's the deal here?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought NAR registries were for Earth civilian ships. Clearly, though, Dirgo wasn't human. Perhaps he bought his ship from the Qualor II depot.

Plus, if NAR registries are chronological, then the Nenebek must be really old. The DY-500 Mariposa had a registry of NAR-7XXX!

[ February 13, 2002, 11:21: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not just for Earth civilian ships, NAR (among other prefixes such as NFT, NDT, NGL, BDR, etc.) is simply for Federation vessels not directly under the control of Starfleet. At least, that's as specific as we've seen so far on the show.

My question is, where did this reg come from? Neutral Zone Database and at least one other site I've seen lists it, but Ex-Astris doesn't and neither do most others...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The registry is from the life-size model seen in the hangar bay. If you have the tape, follow these simple instructions. Look to the right of the entranceway to the interior of the shuttlecraft. You will will see a faint, but readable, painted registry-NAR-2066. The encyclopedia confirms that there is a registry affliate with this craft.

As for Bernd, and others that share a similar database (Nenebek sans registry), they are exercising discretionary judgement on what to include and what not to include.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
NAR (among other prefixes such as NFT, NDT, NGL, BDR, etc.) is simply for Federation vessels not directly under the control of Starfleet.
What about the Mariposa NAR-7678? She was built & launched before the Federation, and even the Earth Starfleet, even existed. And I don't think there's enough information for your statement to be 100% accurate.

Vessels with NAR registries:

Nenebek NAR-2066 (disputably alien vessel)

Mariposa NAR-7678 (not Federation or Starfleet)

Vico NAR-18834 (Federation vessel)

Spacedock Shuttle NAR-25820 (used by Starfleet personnel; most likely a Starfleet-owned vessel)

Raven NAR-32450 (private vessel, disputably either Federation or Starfleet-backed)

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At some point in Starfleet's history all the ships that were still out there somewhere but haven't reported back in were given a registry number so it would be easier to track the search for them... or even look up that ship if it was ever found by another.

A nice theory anyway.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, why are we (even thinking of) assuming that Dirgo was an alien? He didn't have forehead prosthetics, or drink methane, or use fancy words with a dozen apostrophes per syllable. His clothing was conservative. And his stash of weapons was Federation-issue.

Is it just because Dirgo was portrayed as an asshole, and only aliens and admirals are assholes in TNG?

Timo Saloniemi

colin
Member # 217

The control consoles were 23rd century technology, like that used on the USS Enterprise in the movies.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read or saw somewhere that for the shuttle controls in the Nenebek, Okuda wasnt going TOS retro, but actually used display interfaces similar to those on the space shuttle for a little age/accuracy in the small ship.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Spacedock Shuttle NAR-25820 (used by Starfleet personnel; most likely a Starfleet-owned vessel)
Actually that shuttle sported the Federation seal, this may mean that Spacedock 1 is a civilian Federation facility that is used and/or administered by starfleet. This makes more sense since it would take literally thousands of people to work and possibly live in the station.

The shuttle is probably just an executive bus service thats assigned to the station. Why they simply didn't just beam up is beyond me...perhaps McCoy was being stubborn again.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Timo: Really? I could have sworn Dirgo was an alien. If not, my bad.

Anyway, didn't that Jaglom Shrek dude have the same type of ship? And the J'naii as well? They were certainly aliens. Of course, I like my theory that all these ships were in fact modifications of the original Deneva class escape pods, with the aliens who purchased said pods from the Qualor II surplus depot having installed a drive on the pod's rear. [Razz]

[ February 15, 2002, 14:47: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was also a Klingon shuttle and a 26th-century time-travel pod.

And Dirgo was a Pentaran. Whether Pentarus was a human colony or a planet of aliens that were indiscernible from humans is unknown.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that they're aliens, and now I can't even be sure they're UFP members...

Didn't he say "We don't have the resources [or maybe it was 'luxuries'] of the Federation"?

Hmmm...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect non-Federation humans, which is why they'd call the Feds to mediate and why the Feds would be happy to. Not that Picard hasn't ferried UFP-sponsored mediators to nonhuman crises as well, but he hasn't personally mediated too many of those.

The Pentarans were collectively identified as miners, which could suggest they are not natives to the planet but only stripping it for resources. There wasn't much indication that any of the planets in the Pentaran system had native life.

Which reminds me, what was the deal with the fountain and its guardian? Did a race live there that valued its water a lot yet didn't frequent that area of the planet? Or was the guardian a relic of ancient inhabitants? Neither Dirgo nor Picard seemed familiar with the device, and it appears they had no idea who had built it, either. Nobody really demonstrated knowledge of the culture or even the geography of the planet they crashed on.

As for the other races using the Nenebek model, I think the model/prop was used in unaltered form only once, for Shrek's YLT-registered vessel. The J'naii ship looked very different in the smart colors and with the added nacelles, and the Klingon shuttle only featured the forward module. The time pod was utterly different from the outside - and so was Ro's ship in "Preemptive Strike", another interior reuse of the Nenebek.

Timo Saloniemi

colin
Member # 217

The three registry numbers for this model-type are:

NAR-2066 Nenebek
YLT-3069 (Yridian shuttle)
NCD-31775 (Toron-Class shuttle)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps