Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "$huttlepod One" Tech! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "$huttlepod One" Tech!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it went w/o saying that ENT has FTL sensors...
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I know is that it would be a very sad death if the last drink you had was bourbon.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
replace sad with happy

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto on Tim's comment about sensors. Trek's always always always had FTL sensors. They'd never detect anything at warp until they were on top of it if they didn't.

Ditto on Grocka's comment about bourbon being a poor last drink.

And, if I may add something new to the discussion, there was an enormous whingefest over at TrekBBS where people said that Reed's finger, let alone the mashed potatoes, would be sucked out the hole. Well, somebody with a basic understanding of physics went to their lab and attempted to shut them up. They rigged up an apparatus with a vacuum pump, cooled a thin piece of metal with liquid nitrogen to 30 K and punched a 1 mm wide hole in it. Mashed potatoes formed a clean rock-solid seal for 20 minutes. Considering the shuttlepod's hull was most likely colder, thicker and with a smaller hole, its clear the science was bang-on.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
an Enterprise first.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.

People always seem to overestimate the power of air pressure at sea level.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depending on the size of the hole I imagine they might get a blister, but if the microsingularities are truly microscopic, any blister would presumably be pretty tiny too. Hey do any physics buffs here know just how massive a black hole would have to be to maintain an event horizon approximately 1 �m wide?

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming the equation I found was correct, and that I did my math correctly, a black hole w/ an event horizon of diameter 10-6m would have a mass of about 1 123 659 887 556kg (a bit over one trillion kilograms).

While that sounds like a lot, it's pretty small. To put it in perspective, even the planet Pluto is more than 10 billion times as massive as the singularity of a one-micrometer-across event horizon.

[ February 21, 2002, 11:50: Message edited by: TSN ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps