Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Transpar*e*nt aluminium has arrived! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Transpar*e*nt aluminium has arrived!
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone on rec.arts.sf.science found this:
http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/0,1518,183008,00.html

It's in German, but it basically says that they heated up aluminiumoxide to 1200 K, apply some magic, and out comes a 10 by 10 by 1 cm plate weighing 400 gram and transparant!

No Scotsman sighted.

[ February 19, 2002, 11:21: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course if we lived in the Trek universe this would have been in 1986, by Dr. Nichols at Plexicorp.

Maybe transparent aluminum is part of what started the Eugenics Wars?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three times stronger than steel... I can see a whole plethora of possible applications for this material.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow... and everyone dismissed the idea of transparent aluminium as another Trekkian fantasy... [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reguarding that scene - when Dr. Nicols is contemplating what McCoy and Scotty are offering him... who was that chick that comes in... was she coming in for a bit of office hanky-panky!?! ;o)

Oh, and the real test will be two whales and lots of sea-water. ;o)

Can anyone hear a probe!?! eeeeeeeaaaaaa eeeeeea aaaaeeeeeeee eeeeeeiiiii.

"Get him back! GET HIM BACK!"

Oh, BTW it's spelt "Transparent"

[ February 19, 2002, 08:40: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
apply some magic
One assumes the class on the creation of Transparent Aluminium will be a feature of the next Harry Potter book. Though Christ only knows what Ron's doomed-to-failure attempt will produce. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember CDR Sonak...AFter the accident?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course we do.. what they got back didnt live long..

fortunately

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CaptainMike, you are fucking hilarious.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
Of course we do.. what they got back didnt live long..

fortunately

Thanks, I needed that! [Big Grin]

This wonder-material is a curse! It'll replace plastic in many applications... Thusly putting me (and other plastic-engineers) out of jobs...

On the other hand, I bet it would make for one heck of a windshield for a car...

[SCREEEEEECH!!! CLANG!]
ME: Clang?! I was hoping for "SHATTER"
BAD DATE: Ow!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... which would be worse: being thrown through a windshield onto the pavement at 45 mph, or being splatted against the inside of said windshield at 45 mph? I'd think the deceleration of hitting the windshield and stopping would be far greater, and thus so would the force, but...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, just because Captain Kirk doesn't wear a seatbelt, it doesn't mean YOU don't have to.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ran it through the universal translator.

"Tank page frame protects Dresdner researcher against projectiles transparent and extremely hard page frames developed. By the material, from which visors can firingfixed be manufactured, also the pentagon is fascinated. DPA transparent aluminum tile America weapon technician show interest in a tank page frame from Dresden. In there Fraunhofer-Institut for ceramic technologies succeeded in baking fine-grained alumina in such a way with 1200 degrees Celsius in the furnace that an extremely hard, transparent material develops. A 10 times 10 centimeters large disk (strength: only about 400 gram weigh, are however three times harder 1.0 cm as hardened steel. With firing tests under contract of the German Federal Armed Forces from the Bundeswehr in Koblenz " outstanding results " were obtained, report the researcher Andreas Krell. Also in the US state Idaho were examined the tiles: The pentagon is fascinated of the transparency of the material, with which firingfixed of visors or large windows of armored reconnaissance vehicles can be built."

One small step for humanity... One big step for Trek-kind.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

capped
Member # 709

oh, plus i read an article about polarizing the plating of tanks to destroy bullets before impact in popular science last month

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps