Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Power sources and values (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Power sources and values
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so we know that Star Trek ships use fusion reactors and matter/antimatter reactors. I've found from the TNGTM (page 57) that m/a has a 10^6 times greater energy output than that of standard fusion.

My questions are;

1) How much power does a fusion reactor generate?;
2) How much power does a m/a reactor generate (if not 10^6 greater than the answer to 1)?;
3) How powerful are plasma-based reactors - you know the ones that the Cardassians used to defend Chintoka with?
4) How much power do any other sources generate?

Let the debate/discussion begin!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask Nevod [Wink]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I strongly suspect that you won't get anything more than these responses. The output of any reactor depends on how much fuel you're putting into it, how you're gathering up that output to put it to work, and all sorts of other minor but important technical details that no one has ever bothered to make an episode about, and thus are simply unknowns.

Suffice it to say, as Mark said, a fusion reaction gives you lots of energy. An antimatter reaction gives you _lots_ of energy. Presumably the Cardassian reactors give you lots too.

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes] Bloody hell. [Roll Eyes]

Sigh.

I'm only looking for rough figures, you know - estimates.

Sigh.

OK, how's about this;

How much energy does a nuclear power station of today create?

[ February 23, 2002, 15:07: Message edited by: akb1979 ]

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Less than a M/A reactor. But still lots. [Roll Eyes]
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think most things in star trek give you lots.
IP: Logged
akb1979
Member # 557

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Hear my roar and fear me! [Mad] [Mad]

Doesn't anyone have a useful answer or a link that does have and answer? [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How much power does a m/a reactor generate...?"

mass * c2 / time

akb1979
Member # 557

OK . . .

Take a Galaxy-class ship for example;

Mass = 4,500,000 metric tonnes
Speed = Warp 1 (1c)
Time = 60 seconds

So (4,500,000 * 1)/60 = 750,000X per second. Now assuming this is all accurate and the formula is sound, what is X? KJ/KW/MW/GW?

Are there NO Star Trek sites (official or otherwise) that cover this topic?

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that's not it at all. A ship's mass has nothing to do with it.

But here's one way you can approximate it: the TNG TM should give the total amount (in m^3) of antimatter a Galaxy class ship should carry. The book also says that this amount of fuel is enough to power the ship for five years. Assume that the antimatter is used *only* for warp propulsion, and assume an exact five year period. Look up some physics books and determine how much energy is contained in a single atom of deuterium (and thus, anti-deuterium). Also determine the density of slush deuterium at whatever cryogenic temperature the store it at on the Enterprise.

The rest figures itself out - you should be able to find the total amount of energy that would be released if you reacted ALL the antimatter on a GCS with the corresponding amount of matter. Divide this by all the seconds in five years, and you'll have the approximate amount of energy expended per unit time. In other words, the average power output of a GCS warp core cruising at its sustainable cruise velocity, assuming continuous operation. You could factor in a reasonable amount of time the ship would NOT be at warp for maintenance, etc. (say, 4-6 weeks per annum but this is off the top of my head) to gain a better approximation.

Do the math. There's lots of it. [Smile]

Mark

[ February 23, 2002, 18:42: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that most of that is solved, what was all that business about a year ago with Frank telling everybody he believed fusion could produce more power per whatever unit of reactive material than a m/a annihilation process with the same amount of reactive material?

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Using info from Star Trek: The Magazine, I have calculated that at full capacity, DS9's four operable fusion reactors could produce 526.66664 terawatts (526,666,640,000,000 watts) of power in the form of plasma. I would guess that a starship's M/ARA could produce a few dozen petawatts (XXX,000,000,000,000,000 watts) of power in the form of plasma. And one would suppose that either shuttle craft are equipped with extremely low power M/ARAs or a medium output fusion reactor, and that is why shuttles can barely achieve warp or not maintain it for long (The only exception is the Delta Flyer that is really powerful).

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember when David Schmidt first showed up here, we started a thread to figure out the energy from a kilogram of antimatter, for use either in warheads or reactors. Don't remember when that was, however. The efficiency of an antimatter reaction should be near 100%, but you can choose anything less than that for fusion.
Nevod
Member # 738

- posted      Profile for Nevod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fusion: 600 Terajoules/kg is you use Hydrogen fuel; but it also takes lots to contain all that fusion... max power would be some 500 gigawatts.

M/AM: It's too volatile to be practical... Better create small black holes, bump stuff into them and blast them. Same power, just far more safe.

Plasma: Inexistent in real life, so dunno. Bou they may be sucking out ZPE, so probably about equal to M/AM.

Too lazy to type more.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps