Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Proposed fleet of the 2360's (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Proposed fleet of the 2360's
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's try a little timeline, shall we?

Point 1: An enemy ship fires an energy beam.
Point 2: The target ship attempts to move out of the way.
Point 3: The beam reaches the target.

Now, consider that there is practically NO TIME between Point 1 and Point 3. Because an energy beam is firing at THE SPEED OF LIGHT.

It is NOT possible to "dodge" an energy beem. It's impossible according to the laws of physics.

A starship like the Defiant might be able to fool the enemy ship's targeting sensors, and move faster than the enemy ship can target them, causing the energy beam to miss -- but it can NOT "dodge" an energy beam.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I assume most people knew that when we say "dodge phaser fire" we mean moving out of the way before the phaser makes an accurate target lock. As to the Borg Cube, my theory is that when such a ship is engaged by so many ships, the Collective can't keep up as it normally would (lots of variables to process) and so some targets get missed because the Borg are focusing on the primary threat.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ace,

My fault. I thought you were referring to ship (and not personnel) assignments of more then six-months.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well. [Smile]

I'm still waiting for Matrix (or any of the other GCS critics) to repond about the Sovereign...

...while I wait, I hereby state that I also drive a Jeep. On the other hand, it's a Cherokee...

[ March 02, 2002, 20:27: Message edited by: Ace ]

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Defiant dodged any of Lakota's fires. And in FC, she wasn't dodging normal weapons, she was dodging Borg tractor beams.

We never saw any Galaxy being used as a command ship that was safely tucked away in the rear, we *DID* see them leading the charge and blowing in a hole in the enemy formation.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually its called tactics, in which they use heavy ships with superior firepower to open up a gap in the front lines where the smaller ships wreack havoc in the opposing fleet. Its called crossing the T. Nelson used the same tactic, in which he made all his ship go in 1-2 single file line where then they crossed the T of the opposing fleet where they broke up the single line they had and caused chaos.

The Sovereign is what the Galaxy is not. Where the Galaxy class is finese and style, the Sovereign is brute strength and no nonsense.

Evolved
Member # 389

Well, then that "tactic" goes against what you claim the Galaxy's role is:
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
The Galaxy class was designed as a command ship, a ship to sit behind and command the ships, but at the same time be a battlecruiser or a battleship.

As for the "magnificent" Sovereign and her weapons, she actually has worse phaser coverage than the Galaxy...and those long nacelles are just begging to be hit...

[ March 04, 2002, 12:57: Message edited by: Ace ]

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a Sovereign has five torpedo launchers. A Galaxy has only two, though we don't know if the Sovereign can fire packs of ten torps at once. We know that the Sovereign was designed without the neck by Eaves for precisely the reason you mention -- the damage done by enemy fire.

The interesting thing is that we may now be moving back to a more peaceful era again -- no Dominion War, no Borg invasions. Ah, the good old days of TNG...

Also, phasers do NOT travel at lightspeed, although they are fast. B5 style slicer beams travel at c, and the visual effects animate them in such a way. Star Trek's VFX crews do not.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Sovereign's torpedoe tubes can even pack three at once. You always see them fire torpedoes individually, rather than in triplet clusters like what the Galaxy does. It would make sense, since the Sovereign's launchers are apparently quite a bit smaller.

Um, I seem to recall B5 beams being just as "fast" as Trek beams.

--------------------

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are different kinds of B5 beams. Shadow slicer-beams just appear all at once and move around a bit before they acquire target. That's when the ship is sliced in half, if not destroyed at once.

[ March 04, 2002, 17:31: Message edited by: Boris ]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe what I said is that the Galaxy class is a command ship, and as a command sip stay in the back. That is typical role of a command ship even today. However command ships are typically one of the stronger ships in the fleet, which could be a battleship or a cruiser if we use naval terms. Battleships were typically stayed in the back waiting for the smaller ships to get chased by the bigger ships where they would get cornered and be easily destroyed by the combined forces of the main fleet. Check out the World War 1 Naval Battle, Battle of Jutland.

Also it has been stated that the Sovereign class is one of the mosr advanced ships in the fleet and possibly the most powerful. I doubt anyone would say that unless she was in fact more powerful than the Galaxy class. If the Sovereign class was just like the Galaxy class, then where are the families where are the wood railings where are the bright colors which the E-D was known for?

Its has near cold interior similar to the Voyager.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh? Have you SEEN the Enterprise-E? The colour sceme is gold and brown, similar to but darker than the E-D interior scheme. I find the colours friendly, though I'm no fan of the sets themselves. They're relatively cramped, and the bridge is so cluttered with pointy consoles you can puncture an organ if you walk the wrong way.

Voyager - now THAT's sterile. Mind you, they *did* do the Voyager sets with an eye on having them resemble high-tech laboratories for computers and whatnot, which IMO worked.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Evolved
Member # 389

I don't see how you can defend the Sovereign yet call the Galaxy a "makes no sense" ship. The Sovereign's longer profile actually increases its turning radius, and those longer nacelles "make no sense." Exactly how does the Sovereign do better in combat against smaller ships than the Galaxy?

[ March 05, 2002, 18:10: Message edited by: Ace ]

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

Not to mention the Sovereign has reduced phaser coverage, compared to the Galaxy. Also, in Bridge Commander, the Sovereign's much nimbler after you've blown most of her stardrive section off. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Poor aft coverage" is a relative thing... While both ships suffer from blind spots in the aft phaser arcs, those blind spots are only if the target is well within at *most* a kilometer or so of the ship. Given that practical targets should be more (much more!) than that distance away, this shouldn't be a big problem.

Those of you with models of any given starship, just hold it in your hand at any given angle. Close one eye, and try to eye-line an angle where you *don't* see a portion of a phaser strip. You'll find that this is not possible unless you're really, really close. In fact, you can argue that aft phaser coverage on Galaxy and Sovereign ships is *better* than on the forward arcs, since if you lose the forward phaser ring you're left with a big-ass blind spot than the aft arcs, which have overlapping emitter coverage. In that respect though, you can probably say that the placement of CGS strips provides more aft overlapping.

Mark

[ March 05, 2002, 19:20: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps