Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What makes a torpedo fire?

Author Topic: What makes a torpedo fire?
Rogue Starship
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinkin last night about what the mechanism for making a torpedo go at warp speed. Or in "Enterprise" what makes it go fast?
Magnets?
A burst of Matter/antimatter?

Suggestions?

RS

IP: Logged
Rogue Starship
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap...I am very special...would you like to shake my hand???

Would some one pls like to delete the first post and not this one....thank you.

*slaps himself hard with a skillet iron*
*ouch*

RS

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the later series, the initial launch is probably magnetic. After that, any warp flight would most likely require a M/AM reaction and onboard systems to generate a warp field. The Tech Manual probably has details on this.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First you stack a bunch of torpedos, make sure you give enough space for them to breathe, preferably in a cross pattern or teepee, then you pour large quantities of gasoline on them. Stand back strike a match and throw it on the stack.
Presto, a torpedo fire.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK...from the TNG Tech Manual...

They use some sort of magnetic linear accelerator to propel them out of the launching tube. And in order to have a torp go warp speed, it must be fired while the ship is at warp speed.

Later!
Art

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a better question, what makes them glow red? or white or green or whatever...?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Antagonist
Member # 484

- posted      Profile for Antagonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that the tech manual states it is actually the torpedoe's own guidance thrusters firing, but don't quote me on that.

--------------------
Move .sig!!

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to my one direct e-mail with Mike Okuda, circa 1994 (yes, I was a mere lad of 14 then), the torpedo glow is from the warp sustainer engine; i.e., the same glow that one sees on nacelles.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought torpedoe was expelled from the tube with compressed gas, not magnets.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds unreasonably inefficient. Wasting all that gas every time you want to fire a torpedo? And having to repressurize before you can fire again? We have the ability now to fire things really quickly w/ magnetic propulsion (a/k/a railguns). I doubt that technology would be lost in the future.
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but one of the reason why photon torpedoes are torpedoes instead of missiles could be because it uses compressed gas to launch them. Also, the magnetic fields used in a rail gun could disrupt the electronics of the torpedoe, maybe even interfere with the antimatter containment fields.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's generally held that guided projectile weapons in the Trek universe are called "torpedoes" rather "missiles" solely due to Starfleet sticking to naval rather than air force terminology. The launch mechanism is essentially irrelevant in their naming in real life, too... IIRC there are assorted prototype torpedoes that are rocket-powered and therefore essentially misiles turned 90 degrees.

(Aside: I know Bernd's grumbled that somehow the NX-01 weapons should be called missiles as proof of their more primitive nature, an argument that's gone right over my head, I'm afraid)

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps