Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Old nacelles (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Old nacelles
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's economically unviable to wait for results from a prototype in most cases."

What economy? We're talking about Starfleet here...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which has access to a huge, if non-understandable, economy. So?
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you guys stop asking stupid questions... the Galaxy Class was like that. The Galaxy, Yamato, E-D, and maybe three others all had work done on them prior to 2353, when the Galaxy herself was comissioned... 2353 is also ten years before the E-D was launched.

There is more for the idea that each class in Star Trek has at least three spaceframes laid in the beginning, and that one of them becomes the NX.

They were still testing the NX Danube when the first production run was almost completed! What I read about the Defiant in the DS9 TM also seems to indicate that there were 6 vessels in wait with that class.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but those are the tech manuals. You don't have to just eat whatever those books feed you.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but its soooo yummy

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought - if there were multiple spaceframes for things like the Gal, Dan, Int - I'm thinking about the Excelsior!?! Did they make 3 or more 'transwarp' type ships!?! Did scotty sabotage all three when he had time!?! Hmm. Maybe this shows that it wasn't just Scotty's tampering that fucked up 'transwarp'. Maybe they DID have transwarp - it was just a little faster than warp 'norms' of the day... then you could say The Galaxies had a 'transwarp' in comparison to the Excelsiors - since again they could go faster etc. It's all just warp though!?!

Oh, and I was just looking at that Bozeman 'refit' is that a Nebula type sensor pod (presumably much smaller) on the top there where the 'antennae' used to be?

Andrew

[ March 08, 2002, 08:30: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, presumably the Excelsior was more than just a testbed for transwarp. I suspect the thinking was more along the lines of "We've got this new starship design ready, why don't we try out this transwarp idea on one of them." rather than the other way around. So there could have been more Excelsior spaceframes being constructed at the time, but I doubt any but the Excelsior herself had a transwarp drive.

On the other hand, ST III is more than a little unclear about the status of that experiment. Had they just installed the transwarp stuff? Was the experiment near the end or just beginning?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Was the experiment near the end
Man-Transwarp Drive?

Ugh. I give up. I just can't do this anymore. I've killed myself.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be against the idea that there were at least three Excelsior Class spaceframes in the early part of the 2280's. But only one of them was completed by the time of ST III, which was the NX herself. The other two had work slowed [during the Transwarp Trials] and then stopped [when things didn't go right] and finally restarted [when the brass decided to settle on a warp drive Excelsior].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps