Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Miranda NCC's (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Miranda NCC's
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What numbers have been tossed around for the Miranda? (They'd all be Fandom, of course...) What's the original source of the common NCC-1833, and have there been others?

Thanks,
-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, NCC-1833 is probably chosen because it fills the gap left in the popular "Ships of Star Fleet" registry scheme which adapts Franz Joseph's original registries - the last "Tikopai" cruiser there is 1832, and the next registry given is 1843, the "Enterprise" class USS Levant (SotSF says this will become the E-A).

This gives us ten registries to use (eleven if we say 1843 was liberated when it was changed to 1701-A), and the known Miranda class registry 1837 for the Lantree sits smack in the middle. So 1833 could well be USS Miranda.

SotSF of course says that the Miranda lineage actually started with NCC-1860, USS Avenger, since at that time it was thought that the Reliant was Avenger class (but apparently some early sketch for ST2 did suggest Miranda class?). An easy "out" is to say that there were several batches built - the Miranda subclass was finished without the torp pod, while the Avenger class had the pod. Later, when Starfleet got fed up with the eleventeen subclasses, it picked the earliest one as the source for the new common class name.

SotSF also says all these ships were modifications of an earlier Surya class, a TOS-like design which mounted the torpedo tubes like FJ's ships do, just below the bridge. Thus, NCCs 1833-42 could have had TOS-style earlier incarnations, too. Then again, SotSF doesn't claim that NCCs would be chronological during the TOS and movie eras...

Timo Saloniemi

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sources that don't follow the main thrust of treknical fandom tend to go with either NCC-1800 or NCC-1850.

Jackill's guides (or at least the revised versions) go for NCC-1800.

Starfleet Dynamics/Prototype goes for NCC-1890.

The NCC-1833 number gets a lot of prominence in Federation Frontiers' Avenger/Miranda Class Starship Deck Plans.

For some general waffling on the origins of the Miranda/Avenger classes see my page at http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/mir_history.html

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1860, if you say Lantree was not a Miranda, 1833 (what AlexR says), 1800, depending on what you think about the age of the ship.

Personally, I'd say 1800 is a good guess.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

CaptAlabin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder where i got the registry as NCC-1801 from. I always thought that was a good number for the Miranda or at least 1800.
IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like 1833. Leaves room if want to believe in some of the Achernars and Tikopais, and predates all of the movie era Mirandas (with the exception of the DC Star Trek's Pacific NCC-1830, but thats probably a Constellation/Eagle style registry glitch, and non canon to boot)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really had no great clue as to what the registry was to be. On my Miranda model I plucked NCC 1830 out of the air as a plausible 'guess', it's interesting that it seems to be pretty close to many peoples expectations.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I=teh suxx0rz. I made mY USS Miranda out to be NCC-694.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To tell you the truth, if I were to choose between fandom numbers I would pick Sotf because they are actually try to make it look professional. Unfortunately what screws it up is later on screen footage or quotes that screw up their whole scheme. Later I'll explain a little theory on how to work the numbers out if you want.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel the Miranda that we've seen is a refit of an original TOS version. So I place the USS Miranda back before 1700, possibly even in the 1500 or even 1400 hundreds. I won't go back beyond that though.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the Reliant's dedication plaque say that the ship was Avenger class? Or is that just some rumor I'd heard somewhere? I always thought that once TNG debuted, Okuda changed the class to Miranda because "Avenger" sounded too negative...

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen the Reliant-plaque. If it or a picture of it still exists, I assume *they* let it disappear so that no one can ever say the ship was an Avenger-class vessel. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we know that the Reliant even had a plaque?
from what I gather the first appearance of a Dedication plaque in the movies was the E-A's in ST:IV, I don't ever recall seeing a plaque on the Enterprise-refit's bridge.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
...but apparently some early sketch for ST2 did suggest Miranda class...

Whoa, this is news to me. Can you elaborate? I'd always heard that the person/s who designed it for TWOK named it Avenger-class, and that's where that whole thing came from... [Confused]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avenger was always a fandom thing i thought.. and a poorly thought out one at that

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps