Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Non-Canon weapons...

Author Topic: Non-Canon weapons...
Golden Tiger
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Star Trek Starfleet Command there were a few weapons that were non-cannon that made me start to rethink weapons in Star Trek...
An Excelsior class starship (something like that, look in the tech database) featured one plasma torpedo weapon bank. This was the only ship to feature this weapon. I found that a Federation plasma weapon was an interesting idea...
On the Ex Astris Scientia website in the pre-federation starship database a ship was listed as having a plasma weapon (similar to the plasma torpedo? I don't know...). Quote below:

The Y class is a modular freighter carrying up to eight large cargo containers. In 2151, this type of ship has already been in service for some decades. Y-class ships are typically armed with a low-yield plasma cannon. ~~Known ships
ECS Fortunate ~~ The registry of the Fortunate could be ECS2801. This is a number that can be found on signs next to the doors of the cargo containers. ~~ Class specifications ; Speed: Warp 1.8 ; Crew complement: 23 ; Cargo capacity: 20 kilotons
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/prefed_ships.htm

Also a type of slow torpedo was in the Star Trek Starfleet Command game (drones? I dunno...). Shuttlecraft were used for attack or defense, the Lyrian race made fighter craft and attacked primarly with those (and had some direct plasma weapon called a Hellbore) and there was another race with an Enveloping Plasma Weapon.

In the book "Dark Mirror" (about the Enterprise-D going to an alternate universe to meet a Federation bent on conquering the universe), Captain Picard managed to sneek abord the evil counterpart of his own starship. While on this evil Enterprise, he noticed that the weapons on the ship were mostly planet attacking weapons and used early Klingon and Romulan research (both races been conquered). The weapons did have specific names, I don't remember them however.

Anyways, I am curious about some non-canon weapons that were mentioned before and the statistics about those weapons. I like non-cannon mysterious starships and never before mentioned weapons... yes... I am somewhat odd! Anyways, mention any weapons that you know about.

[ March 10, 2002, 11:35: Message edited by: Golden Tiger ]

IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering gunpowder is not currently held by the majority of fandom as the principle accelerant when it comes to launching torpedoes, wouldn't all Trek weapons be non-cannon?

[ March 09, 2002, 19:29: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Golden Tiger
Ex-Member

Perhaps I mispelled the term... I'll define (to help you with my spelling!)

cannon = Common fact, proven in shows and movies. (Enterprise D)
non-cannon = implied fact, not in shows or movies, but in books and video games. Invented starships, fictional. (Mirage class, Star Trek Away Team, video game, starship that can cloak and look like any other starship in existance)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canon. Not cannon. Sarcasm.

The last essential to staying on this board.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The plasma cannons you mentioned were probably what's been shown on Enterprise.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...starship that can cloak and look like any other starship in existance...
Oh, dear God.

-MMoM [Eek!]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! That cloakey ship sounds Fanboyish. Well, I'm okay.
Golden Tiger
Ex-Member

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
quote:
...starship that can cloak and look like any other starship in existance...
Oh, dear God.

-MMoM [Eek!]

Ok, just to show that such a thing was invented I reinstalled the Star Trek Away Team demo from one of my archive CDs (I have downloaded way to much with my 56k modem over the years) and I got Hypersnap DX and took 5 screenshots of this mimic starship. The screenshots are small because the game runs at a low resolution (sorry about that, but I cannot change it in the demo!).

The first shot shows that the ship is the Incursion, NX classification.

The second shot shows the briefing text that describes the mimic technology of the Incursion (bottom, first paragraph) along with the person who helped or perhaps started the project (Commander Data), an incident where they fooled the Romulans with this technology (second paragraph), and it shows a nice underneath screenshot of the ship. If you want, I can add a screenshot later that shows that the Incursion is less than half the size of a Romulan Warbird (quite small... only size comparison in the Demo).

This 3rd shot shows an experimental shuttle which can go through shields (via shield harmonics). Looks familar to another shuttle...

In this shot there is a tricorder reading of that exact same shuttle (at the bottom). The shuttle is called a prototype. The shuttle can travel at warp speed (a rarity among any shuttle!) The shuttle has a number on it, the number of the Incursion (can't remember what that number is called). The number is NX-74808. The shuttle has on the side INCURSION SHUTTLECRAFT 1. The door in the back is the number of the Leyte Gulf.

At the end of a mission, another shot of the Incursion is shown briefly before it is covered by windows. I tried to take this shot quickly... but I sorta was late with it. Still, it may prove useful...

Anyways, that is all I know about the ship. If anybody has the full version of Star Trek Away Team and wants to add more shots or descriptions, it would be helpful.

[ March 10, 2002, 11:47: Message edited by: Golden Tiger ]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"the Incursion is less than half the size of a Romulan Warbird (quite small... only size comparison in the Demo)."

The Galaxy-Class was designed to be one half the size of a D'deridex. I'm not too sure the Galaxy is all that small.

"The shuttle can travel at warp speed (a rarity among any shuttle!)"

I don't think we've seen a shuttle in recent memory that can't travel at Warp.

"the number of the Incursion (can't remember what that number is called)"

That'd be a registry. [Big Grin]

[ March 10, 2002, 11:48: Message edited by: Ultra von Magnus ]

Golden Tiger
Ex-Member

Gah, caught me in the middle of an edit. I goofed on the NX ~ NCC issue. A ship can be USS and have its' registry (thanks! I forget the darndest things!) be either NCC or NX, no bug there.

The Incursion was shown mimicing to a Romulan D'deridex ship. The mimic was more than twice the size of the Incursion itself. I would post a screenshot, but every time I try I crash either ST Away Team, Hypersnap DX, or both! I need to get a faster system...

As for the shuttles, there is shuttles that can travel at warp (although they are very new) and they are canon (all except one, actually)!
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/starfleet_shuttles.htm

Examples:
The Enterprise-E has this new type of large warp shuttles.

There is a Type 7 shuttlecraft that can maintain warp 2 for 36 hours. Shuttle was in TNG.

There is a Type 6 shuttle, warp 2 for 36 hours (again). Was in TNG (again).

The Type 10 shuttle was mentioned as having an unusual warp drive. Shuttle is on Defiant, was shown in DS9.

The Delta Flyer was mentioned as having warp nacells (which doesn't mean much...). Shuttle was on VOY.

Shuttle Type 9A was never shown on screen (uncertain class). Warp 2.2 for 32 hours.

Anyways, I hope that clears some things up. [Smile]

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The shuttle was the average type 12. The Leyte Gulf was an Akira. The extro shows the Incursion cloaking and becoming a cardassian galor, while the intro shows the Incursion being a D'Deridex.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Golden Tiger
Ex-Member

Odd that a standard type 12 shuttlecraft would be considered a prototype... perhaps it was the shield harmonic penetration feature...
(sidenote: to anybody going to the link in the post above, the type 12 shuttle is listed as a type 9 shuttle. It was called in Voyager by type 9, type 12, and type 2. Max warp speed is warp 4. I seemed to have read over that ship!)

You must have the full version because I never seen the Incursion mimic a Cardassion ship.

Just curious... did the Incursion have weapons? If so, can the Incursion fire while under a mimic?
(In general, a mimic starship has no weapons in Homeworld Cataclysm, so I ask...)

[ March 10, 2002, 13:47: Message edited by: Golden Tiger ]

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, those characters are uuuuuuuugly.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps