Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Pulse phaser power output (lots of ifs)

Author Topic: Pulse phaser power output (lots of ifs)
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, we know the power output of a Type-X phaser emitter is 5.1MW. We can roughly guesstimate the size of the prefire chambre from the emitter drawing in the TNGTM, and we know that all prefire chambers are spherical. From the size we can derive a rough volume. Let's make the power output a function of the chamber volume and call it ^_^.

We can do the same with the pulse phasers onboard the Defiant by putting our faith in the DS9TM. Let's assume that prefire chamber technology didn't make too big a leap in the years between the GCS and DCS. So we take the pulse phaser emitter's prefire chamber size, convert that to volume, times that by ^_^, then adding a 5-10% bonus in power, just for argument's sake. Tally everything, and we should get a rough number of the power output of the pulse phasers. Tack on another 5% bonus from the fact that the phaser is pulsed, if you want.

And my guess is that the number of shots it takes a Defiant to disable a Keldon is more or less the same as it takes a Galaxy to take down a Galor. Keldon and Galor being roughly equal. The power it takes for a Galaxy to take down a Galor derived from on screen measurement of the distances (length) the power coupling effect takes place over on the phaser array.

Thanks to space bunnies for beaming this idea directly into my day dreams.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....."HUH?"

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would be far more useful to examine the observable effects of pulse phasers in the individual episodes. Even if we knew them, the power output numbers don't tell us much since the phasers are supposed to operate on the NDF effect (see Mike Wong's pages at www.stardestroyer.net).

Boris

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only input I have on pulse phasers is that as the Defiant was originally conceived to be a Borg-killer, it would incorporate a more advanced version of one of the only weapons that proved effective against them...

I think the pulse phasers are designed to be able to reset each emitter to a random frequency after each shot.

And yes, I know that has nothing to do with power output.

--Jonah

[ March 16, 2002, 11:07: Message edited by: Peregrinus ]

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
I think it would be far more useful to examine the observable effects of pulse phasers in the individual episodes. Even if we knew them, the power output numbers don't tell us much since the phasers are supposed to operate on the NDF effect (see Mike Wong's pages at www.stardestroyer.net).

Boris

StarDestroyer.net? Ewww, why?

'You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than those pages.'

(Actually, I have seen more logical fallacies and propagandist materials collected in one place, but it's rare . . .)

G2k

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw goddamnit, why did that bloody website have to be mentioned here?!

This is of a purely academic interest... Besides, phaser output still have a lot to do with damage. And it might help reduce those number of those people who thinks everything about the Defiant is "GODLIKE".

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps