Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » starship uses (my first post)

Author Topic: starship uses (my first post)
grb2
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I've been reading these forums for a long time now, and I'd thought I'd post some ideas on starship uses I've been thiking of for a long time. First of all, I wanna point out that alot of roles for starships that I've seen put out before all seem to do with different military roles, but I think that there are alot more exploratory roles that are possible besides "explorer" and "research vessel". For the basis of the below classifications, I used TNG's tech guide's Explorer, Cruiser, Surveyor, etc. classifcation system.

The Akira, Steamrunner, Norway, and Sabre appear to be heavily armed (they are always in Starfleet's front-line fleets, against the borg and dominion), and usually assigned to deep space, as they have just been recently recalled. Of course, heavy armament would be an aid and perhaps a necessity in any vessel assigned to deep space.

Akira-class: Its apparent from DS9 that Starfleet has ALOT of these in their front line fleets. And of course, the reason we havent seen them earlier even though their registries are so low is cause they were in deep space....I see the Akira-class as Starfleet's general Survey Explorer. The larger Galaxy-class vessel seems to be a Multi-Mission Explorer equipped for both general and in-depth study, but I see the Akira as devoted to just bascially surveying the distant reaches of Federation space.

Steamrunner: This ship has a really weird shape! Why I wondered? Well what Starfleet component besides weapons and propulsion systmes would be mounted on the exterior of a vessel and thus affect its shape? That would be senor arrays. Thus, maybe the Steamrunner-class is a Charting Explorer, mainly assigned to use its extensive and unique sensor array to chart astronomical objects from the far reaches of Federation space for later study by in-depth vessels or for just a general survey by a Survey Explorer.

Sabre: Its small, so I figure its just a Long-range Scout dispatched at a moment's notice from distant outposts to investigate phenomonon far from those outposts.

Norway: Its is apparent that this vessel is oddly shaped for a ship of its era, and does not have the phaser strips, life boat hatches, or even windows seen on most other ships of that era. I figure that Norway-class vessel is a Multi-Environment Explorer. Basically, a Norway will explore dangrous regions you wouldn't want to send a normal ship into, such as subspace ruptures, proto-star clusters, or anything else dangerous.

Elkins-class: Today, NASA and other agencies send large jets equipped with telescopes on flights to get astronomical observations with less interfernece from the atomsphere. This ships double-deflector array reminds me of an "inferometer," which is a real-life device that uses two telescopes spaced apart to get a better picture. I see the Elkins as a kind of mobile telescopic or subspace inferometer that can be dispatched beyond the dust clouds condensed around gravitational objects such as a star system. Yu could call it a Mobile Subspace Inferometer Surveyor. It can even be sent alot cloer to what is being oberserved for better study. Of course, in the early deperate months of the war, it might have been pressed into some kind of military role, and be along with the fleet which we saw in "A Time to Stand."

Medusa: With its three nacelles, it looks like this ship can travel long range. Of course, we've never seen such a vessel before, so I imagine a very limited role for it. I picture the Medusa to be Starfleet's first response vessel to distant colonies in need of emergency assitance. It might also even patrol main space lines and help out in an emergency. It would have to have extensive medical facilities, as well as emergency repair facilities to stop any kind of antimatter or the like reactor failure that could cause alot more damage. You could call it a Long-Range Emergency Response Cruiser.

dam that was long........ [Razz]

IP: Logged
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good start!

As the guy who plans to create all the deck plans for all starships - I see that article as a great first step. Not sure I agree in all respects (I need further time to consider it, along with other as-yet unamed ships), but I'd like to continue this!

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better than what I had thought. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Meh

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quite a few good points in it....to be fussy, some of the labels given to the ships are a little....um....silly sounding even tho they are accurate in their meaning.

but a good interesting, plausible read

Buzz

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm.. I suppose that the Intrepid is a High-Speed Shuttle Construction Cruiser

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

grb2
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha yeah...the names are kinda bad, i wrote that out really fast. but whatever, i was just trying to spew out some starship use ideas besides "its one of starfleet's new warships, with a graviton beam and 20 torpedo tubes."
IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and NX-01 would of course be a Continuity-Countermeasures Destroyer

[ March 18, 2002, 17:58: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I like you. So what about the other ships?

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if I might be so bold to ask: what on earth are the Elkins and Medusa class ships? Where are they seen/mentioned? Don't tell me they're canon?

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, forget about that - I just found out. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL - *wondered how long it would take you to notice that 25-page-long thread! [Wink]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps