Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Who might know what the "Centaur" was labled? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who might know what the "Centaur" was labled?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...except if every time anyone who had an inane question emailed it to DD, he'd quickly throw his hands in the air, begin screaming, start intentionally designing starships for Enterprise with 24th century markings, and never answer any questions of general interest to the fanbase ever again.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect they probably picked the Centaur because it's the most reasonable/best painted/lit, and generally more filmable than the others.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I suspect they probably picked the Centaur because it's the most reasonable/best painted/lit, and generally more filmable than the others.

Obviously since the script called for a ship called Centaur. [Roll Eyes]

I assume you mean they picked the Mirandized Excelsior plastic model for the reasons you stated. [Wink]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

"Ship that became known as the Centaur," if you wish.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Which is why I say the model was built to represent one ship, and then just happened to be used for the Centaur as well. SO there are two ships. The first is whatever ship the model was labeled as, and the other is the Centaur.
I understand what you're saying, & I apologize if I came off as a bit harsh. But here's my point: What if Drexler comes back saying that the ship's name reads "U.S.S. Assfuck"? Are we really supposed to take this seriously? In a word, no. The purpose of naming & building these ships was in no way similar to what was done for BoBW. In that case, those ships were indeed supposed to represent what was written in the script, and also to represent "real" Starfleet ships. That's why Okuda labeled them as such, & put them in the Encyclopedia shiplist. These DS9 kitbashes were not supposed to have been taken seriously at all, names or designs. That's why it's not a big deal to me that a ship with an advanced Intrepid primary hull has old-fashioned Connie nacelles. That's also why it's not a big deal for me to know what was really written on the Centaur's hull.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
U.S.S. Alka-selsior is a serious name from the script?

[ March 26, 2002, 17:22: Message edited by: Boris ]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:

BTW: Where did we get this name from?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike Okuda said it was on one of the Excelsior-prototype-models when they arrived from ILM. It's in the interview section of Bernd's article.

quote:
I didn't do numbers on the McQuarrie or the George models. Bill
[George] and/or his cohorts at ILM did some simple lettering on their models; I remember one of them was labeled the "Alka-selsior."
Note that he does NOT say it was labeled as such by any of his colleagues, (as frequently stated) but rather by the people at ILM.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alka-selsior came from one of the Excelsior study models originally made for ST3. There is no U.S.S. in front of it and the name only came to light when we began recieving info on the models used for the Wolf 359 effects shots.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They still could've relabeled it, but didn't. Actually, I wonder why they went to such pains to label the classes at all?

Anyway, it's not a big deal. I was looking at some possibilities in Google, and the name here could be Rugrats (most likely, made by Paramount), Duckats (gold coins, but it's not a proper name, so I don't know...), Rockats (a rockabilly band from the 50s), Cockats (a Scottish family name), etc.

Boris

[ March 26, 2002, 18:28: Message edited by: Boris ]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was referring to the five study models Ed Miarecki was contracted to build, not the extraneous other old models thrown in just for effect.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps