Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Botany Bay Loading Capacity: 42.5 m^3 maximum (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Botany Bay Loading Capacity: 42.5 m^3 maximum
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just something I read off the wall behind Khan in Star Trek II, while he's about to put the critter into Chekov's ear. Has this been known?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

!!!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Christ, and it's not even season hiatus yet. What thrills will we have to look forward to then? A comparative analysis of the number of stars seen in any particular space scene, throughout the history of Trek? Waste reclamation systems of the Sequoia-class starship? Learned discussions as to what the joke symbols on Okudagrams - the duck, the DC-3, the Porsche - might actually represent on a MSD?

I mean, so what? A frelling cargo ship has a bay that's about two metres by four metres by 5 metres? Wow.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, christ, that would be horrible.

"In episode seventeen, the Enterprise was heading two-seven by four-one, but by the star charts we have available today, we know that it was REALLY headed one-six by nine-seven!"

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of headings, did anyone notice the recurrence of heading 310 mark 215?

"All Good Things" (215 mark 310)
"Generations" (310 mark 215)
"The 37's" (310 mark 215)
...and a few other episodes.

Something of Braga's?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shoots self in head*

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shoots Boris instead of self* [Big Grin]

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

::burns Nashville::

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best thread ever.

Least sarcastic reply.

No, seriously. Well, almost. Vive le trivia.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know why that is Boris... 310 is practically heading away from the galactic core [directly towards is 0* mark 0*, directly away on horizontal is 360* mark 0*, vertical it's 0* mark 360*]. But 37's is a Voyager show, shouldn't they be heading 47* mark 0* [ok, so I had to use 47 ]. Just enough to skirt the edge of the galactic core?

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I'm confusing the two, but as per the TNG tech manual, a heading is calculated based on the ship's current position in space. That is, a heading of 310 mark 215 would turn the ship 310 degrees from its present direction on the horizontal access, and 215 from the vertical access.

What you're describing, I believe, is a bearing.

Of course, I suspect that the two terms are used largely interchangably, but that's what the manual said, and what presumably existed in a writer's bible, long ago.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it's been known or not, Boris, but I actually just noticed this a little while ago when TNN ran The Wrath of Khan. Of course, I seem to be a bit slow about noticing the details of the sets. I also found with that same viewing that the Reliant bridge only had one turbolift.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
even though i have watched Wrath of Khan several times a year for the past 15 years (wow i feel old).. i find that im noticing a lot of this i never saw before.. a lot of the dynamics of the real-life feelings of the situations escaped me, since i was so young (only 6! i cried when spock died!), so i notice new stuff all the time. I also never quite grasped the differences in Reliant's bridge. The other day i noticed how the blood on Kirk's tunic moves around between scenes, or the names of the books on Khan's shelf. or wondering what the hell the guy was vacuuming up behind kirk and spock.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simon: According to the Encyclopedia, you've actually got them backward.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I don't know if any of the reference works have gotten it right. 'Heading' is the direction of ship's travel relative to some outside reference. 'Bearing' is pinpointing something relative to ship's direction of travel.

That is you would set course heading 240 mark 5 to go from Earth to Bajor, say, but then alter course along the way to intercept that Breen ship at bearing 347 mark 315.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps