Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starfleet methods of hiding prototypes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starfleet methods of hiding prototypes
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well the first thing that pops into starfleets mind shouldnt be 'hey, lets empty out a ship and fly it at them packed with explosives' it should be a tactic which is used when such a tactic is sound. i doubt that would be very often.

in real wars technobabble doesnt save the day, standard tactical combat would.

quote:
Well I always that they Excelsior had the NCC-318XX registry
I have no idea what the hell that means. You need some more words in that sentence.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
Fault? Buh? How is contradicting something we only know because Okuda told us in the Encylopedia in the name of making a better-looking VFX shot a fault?

If they didn't care for what Okuda and Miareki established, then why did they give the Excelsior-Melbourne the same registry as the Nebula? They could have easily said this is USS whatever NCC-whatever, why did they choose the Melbourne?
Because that's what the script asked for. This was a case where the writer (Piller) tried to make a nice bit of continuity and wrote in the ship into the script, and then in all likelihood weeks after the scene was all shot and done with the VFX pros said, wait, our Excelsior model will look better. Do you think the VFX guys should have phoned up Mike Piller to ask him to change the script and then possibly reloop lines of dialogue so as not to contradict a Trek factoid that was flat out invisible beforehand? Say yes and I'll smack you.

[ March 31, 2002, 15:22: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
umm... yes. [Big Grin]

(Okuda noticed the 1305-E while watching the episode and decided to change the number for the next appearance. Even if that's not quite the same, it shows that minor details can be taken into concideration for something like this, too. Lika a name/registry-change. And Melbourne was never mentioned in dialog. So no one would have noticed.)

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, first of all, Okuda had already set the Yamato's rego at 71807. It's a matter of clear record that he drafted a memo in response to the '1305-E' line in an early script of "Where Silence Has Lease", but never sent it because a later draft of the script dropped the line. And he didn't know the line had been put back in, and had the acetate cels for the bridge displays made for "Contagion", when he saw the aired version of "Where Silence Has Lease". Thus are YATIs born.

As for the Melbourne, I don't know where the '318xx' myth got started, but right here on my grainy, pre-cable recording of the first airing of "Emissary" I can see '620--' before the hull disintegrates. When we get the DVDs next year (I hope), it should be a bit clearer to everyone.

And I still don't know how to interpret the presence of the Nebula-Melbourne in both "BoBW" and "Emissary" in fairly prominent -- if not legible -- positions as anything other than the existence of a Nebula-class U.S.S. Melbourne, NCC-62043. *shrug* I've gotten good over the years at saying to myself "Oh, that's really supposed to be a ______" when they have to use one of their existing generic models for lack of either time or budget (or both) to make a proper one for what the ships is known/supposed to be...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except the USS Melbourne in BoBW isn't legible. We only made a positive ID match of the ship to the model two or three years ago. Indeed, I'm pretty sure you could break into the Paramount vault, get out the original film negatives, stick them under a big honking microscrope, and the individual flecks of silver nitrate would be so coarse that you couldn't read a registry off the hull.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom... I said it wasn't legible. And there are no "original film negatives". They record everything straight to videotape.
Which means as HDTV becomes more prevalent, Star Trek reruns are really going to look shitty in comparison to other fare out there...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Maybe the VFX went straight-to-video, but I'm pretty sure that the live action is shot on 35mm and then immediately transferred to video, with the film then getting vaultified. Or so sayeth The Making of ST:DS9.

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you Cpt. Amasov.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. [Smile]

On what? The Melbourne or the initial theory? Or both? Or something else? I'm cunfuesd, but thanks nontheless... [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
indeed i also remember from various 'behind the scenes' specials pertaining to TNG revealing it was always shot on film rather than tape, making it an oddity among most other network prime time fare

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Is that two people I have to smack, then? [Smile]

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The initial theory. The Yeager class seems to be a little on the... crappy side when it comes to a practical design. So I would guess its either a cobbled starship with existing parts or a prototype.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps