Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Tommorows Treknology Today

Author Topic: Tommorows Treknology Today
koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of links.

Searches
google search tricorder
google search advanced propulsion
impulse engine

Findings:
I’ve been looking around the Internet for oh ever since it’s existence, and well... treknology isn’t really treknology anymore. This is an official NASA research paper ap (advanced propulsion).This is another site that strangely enough revolves around trek sci-fi antimatter and impulse engines Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket here vasimr and the tricorder here tricorder and I think this is a fan site but oh well intresting link

Conclusion?

Well my theory is we have seen the palm pilot (PADD) and the flip phone cell phones (TOS Communicator) it is somewhat obvious that Gene Roddenberry sparked something he never would have imagined. So my question is do you think that star trek is fading into reality? Oh by the way April fools is over…this is serious.

[ April 03, 2002, 12:17: Message edited by: koy'peled Oy'tio ]

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened is that the original Star Trek producers cared a lot more about believability, even enlisted the RAND research corporation and a scientist to help them out with things like medical equipment. More importantly, the producers actually listened to these advisors and had science-fiction writers working for them (again, not always, but a lot more often than is done nowadays.)

Hence, the fictional devices came true because they were viable future concepts proposed/approved by these scientists/science-fiction writers, not necessarily because Roddenberry himself invented them as he often claimed to have done (sources: The Making of Star Trek, Inside Star Trek: The Real Story).

Whenever Roddenberry got a free hand, without the benefit of outside control by the networks or fellow producers (who often subbed for him during TOS), you essentially got the preachy, unrealistic, often boring style of TMP or TNG seasons 1/2. NBC was probably somewhat responsible for the character of Star Trek, by forcing the writers/Roddenberry not to preach openly.

Nicholas Meyer's movies are rather believable because Roddenberry had more of a consulting role here, though I do believe they should've listened to him a bit more; it would've somewhat diminished the excessively naval character of those movies. TNG had a lot of great moments because all of the crew, from the writers to the VFX folks were working together. They would later split up into DS9/VOY, and although it never would be the same again, I think DS9 got the better half of the writers/producers.

Boris

[ April 02, 2002, 18:06: Message edited by: Boris ]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps