Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Novels' Federation Starships

Author Topic: Novels' Federation Starships
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the first thread of what is bound to be a summer-long battle with 'no new Trek on Flare' syndrome, I want to start to analyze the starships that have appeared in non-canon sources.. while the comic book and RPG ships we've been analyzing lately have been fun for all the graphics involved, the ships that are just mentioned in novels are also quite numerous. Here's a selection:

"The Entropy Effect" shows us the U.S.S. Aerfen, which is part of a 'fighter' squadron (the more popular view of a peaceful 'no-warship' Starfleet would called these Perimeter Action Ships or Patrol Ships). The ship was painted with a non-regulation bird design, and was commanded by Captain Hunter. This vessel was possibly an older ship by its appearance in the last year of Kirk's FYM, Sulu remembered he had snuck aboard Captain Hunter's ship when he was 15 years old when it visited Ganjitsu. (I'm not sure if it referred to the same vessel).

"Rules of Engagement" featured the starships Vanguard and Sir Richard, with NCC-23xx registries if i recall correctly. The cover pictured an Excelsior, but it isnt possible for the pre-TWOK time period.

"Cry of the Onlies" featured an experimental cloaking vessel called the Sparrow

I'm just reading off the top of my head here.. I'll be scanning pages tonight of my collection to put more.. any quotes and mentions you can sort up are welcome

[ April 23, 2002, 12:20: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC the "Excelsior" on the cover has no neck.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll check that out when i get home.. we could surmise that there is a smaller pre-excelsior variant that was made and completed before the NX-2000 was completed... kind of like the relationship between the New Orleans to the Galaxy.

Also, I want to find out what the Challenger from the Diane Carey novels looked like before it was restructured (it was the U.S.S. Peleliu which was cited as a different type ship but all the Challenger cover images shows it being a rearranged Constitution-refit)

--------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere back in the deep dark recesses of this forum is my complete list of TOS book ship names/classes/registries/CO's.

Perhaps that would be useful.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

capped
Member # 709

as a rabid treknology fan i dream of coming across that. pun intended.

[edit-- found it.. here.. I'm less than impressed at the lack of sources so its not that helpful, although the surrounding thread is loaded with the kind of stuff thats on my mind]

[ April 23, 2002, 13:29: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, that's not the thread First of Two meant.

Check http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000930#000000

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

capped
Member # 709

sweet merciful crap!

[ April 23, 2002, 13:36: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
sweet merciful crap!

Is that good or bad?

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2/3 good
sweet is good
merciful is, usually, good
crap, well, is crap

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps