Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TOS Constitution detailing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS Constitution detailing
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who don't keep up with 3D modelling, I wanted to post this link.

http://www.cet.com/~jasonl/images/NCC-1700_Ortho.JPG

This is a hyper-accurate model of Franz Joseph's Constitution plans, but I wanted to post it as an example of the sort of detailing that the TOS Enterprise could have "really" had. A lot of people think the original design looked shitty, and this just shows that it's all in the execution. He plans on doing the TV version next, and I for one can't wait to see it. =)

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, Vektor's baby. Despite what people say, I think she's the real reson they made him the mod of the Art Forum. [Smile]

Sorry to say it, Foundation, but I think this model has to be one of the best CGI's I've ever seen. And if his movie-version will be as good as this one, they should think about doing the TWOK-Director's Edition with this beauty. 8)

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes I know this guy and his connie, I'm glad to see he's finished it. I can say with some authority that it's possibly the best CGI Constitution out there.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He even put small rooms behind each window. Now that's what I call detailed...

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been following Vektor's progress for some time at the Trek Art forum at TrekBBS.. it's quite the masterwork..

My favorite detail (besides actually finding a pearlescent finish that makes me think metal when I look at it) is the inclusion of a subtle aztec pattern of panels on the hull.. I imagine that the TOS Enterprise would be like this had we ever seen it in detail, and yet it maintains Jefferies novel 'no greeblies' requirement of no outside equipment that gives it its integral gracefulness. I also like the minor score marks achieved around the phaser banks and torpedo tube covers.. gives the ship a 'lived in' look without giving it a worn appearance..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a beautiful Connie! Nice comparison shot on that site, too:

http://www.cet.com/~jasonl/images/1700vsNX-01_01.jpg

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone here know how to contact Vektor?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well for starters thats his site posted at the top of the thread, so i think by going to the home page, http://www.cet.com/~jasonl/ would be a good start.. also, he is a Moderator of the Trek Art forum at http://www.trekbbs.com/ where these pictures are posted, and can be easily reached through there

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG...

*drools*

OMG...

*spasms*

OMG...

*blinks*

OMG...

WOW!

That is amazing. *gulp* WOW... it the TOS Enterprise looks REAL for once.

Those WINDOWS don't look like empty white squares etc.

look at the underside view - the shape of the secondary hull... very... ahem... sexy ;o)

Ahhhh Mojo - your in a run for your money... maybe some employment is on the agenda!?!

*throth*

WOW!

The test - for me - would be to see it in an ?oblique? view...

*swoon* WOW... flood lights and everything... I wonder if this is how Gene might have wanted his ship to look...

Is Matt Jeffries still alive!?! Send this to him!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
Member # 709

http://www.trekbbs.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/002129.html

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's a starship!

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a REALLY good mesh! Very faithful to the FJ plans, AFAICS!

I'd just like to know where FJ got the idea that the photon tubes were on TOP of the saucer...

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A dark little space that smells like poopie.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, can someone explain this to me, this 'Connie' isn't what we see on screen (you know what I mean)... it's different to the Enterprise... follows FJ's blueprints!?! How do the two differ?

Does anyone think that the forward three 'portals' look a little large?

I'd love to see a picture looking OUT one of those windows.

I really don't know much about 3d work - since my computer is as old as the hills (well a 6 year old hill) but how do people do these things... do they take a 2d schem and start from there or just add different cylinders together etc... and push and pull them!?! How do you get them to look anything like a schematic... but 3d'd!?!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Others can add more to this if I forget anything...

�The bridge module on the filming miniature is a much more tapered teardrop shape.
�The angle of the saucer rim on the filming miniature is more acute than the FJ plans.
�The taper of the nacelles is more subtle on the filming miniature.
�The edge of the saucer undercurve is much softer on the filming miniature.
�The secondary hull of the filming miniature is a simple lathed cylinder, having none of the complex curves the schematics possess.
�...Except for the three recessed deflector boxes.
�The nacelle endcaps have a screw in the middle of the dome (or a spike, depending on the version), which is absent on the FJ plans.
�The filming miniature has no visible weapons ports or hardpoints, but the series VFX show phasers and torpedoes both emanating from approximately the same point on the saucer -- just above the lower sensor platform. Additionally, dialogue refers to "midship phasers", which don't appear on FJ's plans, and an implied >6 torpedo tubes.

What am I forgetting?
--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps