Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Pentagon Reveals Non-Lethal Energy Weapon (GOOD NEWS) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pentagon Reveals Non-Lethal Energy Weapon (GOOD NEWS)
koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ABCNEWS.COM

-

The energy beam weapon could be mounted on a Humvee, such as in this artist's rendering. (Joint Concept for Non-lethal Weapons)

W A S H I N G T O N, March 1 — The Pentagon today revealed a weapon technology that projects a high energy beam to stun, incapacitate, disorient or stop, but not kill enemies.

The technology, called "Active Denial," seems like it's right out of Star Trek.
It uses a narrow beam of energy that heats up the skin of a target, causing pain one might experience when touching a light bulb that has been left on for awhile.

The Pentagon said the technology has no harmful effects, because low-energy levels are used, and the rays only penetrate less than 1/64 of an inch into the skin.

The energy travels at the speed of light and only needs to be on for a few seconds to work. It causes pain until the transmitter is shut off or the subject moves out of the beam, the Pentagon said.

The technology was designed for field commanders, who asked for options short of deadly force for missions like peace-keeping and humanitarian operations, said the Pentagon. It could also help avoid unwanted casualties or damage to property.

"A weapon like this could be particularly useful when adversaries are mixed with innocent persons," said Marine Corps Col. George P. Fenton.

The exact range and size of the beam is classified, as well as its intensity. "We want to have the beam high enough to motivate you to move," said Fenton, describing how it would work in the field.

A Fighting Humvee

At a Pentagon news conference today, Fenton demonstrated a small table top model of the beam, saying he hoped to convince senior officials to fund further work on the project and eventually approve buying and fielding the system.

The program is still in the conceptual phase. Marine and Air Force scientists have been working on it for 10 years, at a cost of roughly $40 million.

Initial testing has been conducted on animals as well as humans. Human testing has included 6,500 exposures for an average of less than 10 seconds, with only one accidental burn.

Fenton said the beam would not affect targets' eyes because the targets would close their eyes or turn and run if exposed to the sensation of pain. Further research is planned to look at to what extent clothing may shield a person.

Testing is expected to continue into the summer. Officials are currently trying to figure out the appropriate platform on which to mount the device that would transmit the beam (see photo, above).

The transmitter looks like a giant satellite dish, roughly 10 feet tall and 10 feet wide. Pentagon officials are currently considering mounting the weapon on a Humvee, but could be mounted on planes and ships.

[ April 27, 2002, 09:55: Message edited by: koy'peled Oy'tio ]

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's indeed some good news. It's just a shame that the device is so big; I guess that handheld versions are still beyond technological capabilities. Nevertheless, another element of Star Trek has come to fruition in the real world.

--------------------
Signature.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Type 0 Phaser.....

A hummer lacks the protection that would be needed for the crew....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah but in like twenty years from, now how small it be then?

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You realize the potential of this thing? It can probably heat more rations and faster than stuff them into exhaust pipes!

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exhaust pipes???? We used MRE heaters, just add water......

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i give it 20 years before they are hand held...but dont forget this is non-lethal, im sure they have lethal hand held energy weapons. the device has to be so big because it has to control the energy so they dont have fried GI's on their hands (Mmmm deep fried GI's mmmmm - Homer)

[ April 27, 2002, 16:20: Message edited by: koy'peled Oy'tio ]

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, put one unit (without the constrictions&limitations) on a tank baseplate-section, with radiation-shielding from space-shuttles, and you've got yourself a regular "Prism Tank".

They haven't mentioned what happens if you look into the beam, though.
I read, in a credible science-mag, about five years ago about the americans inventing a portable laser-weapon that could instantaneously blind people for life, about 20 at a time. Terrible stuph.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blinding people isn't that hard, but I never heard of US developing such a device. But the US Army did have a laser dazzler designed to be fitted inside a M-203. They temperorary blind any rioters or attackers and scares them off. They were quite effective, but removed from service when human rights group complained about the supposed potential damage those things could to. Afterwards, the Army went back to shooting people who charges at them, apparently.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, actually I do remember an incident quite a few years back about Canadian pilots being injured by a "supposed" Russian laser device.

Shouldn't be that hard to find....

http://www.dnd.ca/menu/maple/vol_2/Vol2_3/pilot_e.htm

[ April 28, 2002, 17:14: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought blinding lasers were said to have been in use way back in the Falklands war, by the Royal Navy? They certainly aren't difficult to build, and in theory the blinding effects *can* be nonpermanent if you use them in bright daylight and for brief periods. In practice, though, permanent blindness is likely.

I've toyed with these weapons, too - a simple ranging laser can be used as an anti-personnel weapon in certain conditions. We tried out shooting targets with the big laser of an anti-aircraft gun for "perimeter defence" of the AA site, although why one would want a nonlethal defense for AA guns is unclear...

Those big antipersonnel microwave ovens have their shortcomings when one faces a prepared enemy. Thick clothing is enough to diminish the effects, unless power is ramped up so much that poor bystander kids start dying. One can also find out the wavelength of the police MW gun beforehand and prepare a suitable homemade smoke dispenser to create an absorbing cloud. And the current MW guns still tend to shoot themselves in the foot a lot, too, frying their own electronics.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what this has to do with the largely fictional world of starships and such. Or even, dare I say it, why this qualifies as good news with a capital GOOD NEWS.
koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

must i spell out the fact that the real world has now again faded just enough to encompass yet another critical technology of the future trek universe

[ April 29, 2002, 14:20: Message edited by: koy'peled Oy'tio ]

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not at all sure that would help...
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even from a pacifist's view this would be good news. Taking out certain persons would not require lethal force using this nifty new device.

--------------------
Signature.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps