Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Number of shuttles aboard the Constitution Class

Author Topic: Number of shuttles aboard the Constitution Class
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, the USS Exeter, a Constitution Class ship, is the only ship where the total number of shuttles is known. The number is four. Yet the USS Enterprise has shuttles numbered seven. For me, if a shuttle is numbered seven, there are six other shuttles at least. However, the number of shuttles aboard a sister ship argues against this idea. So, my question is, what is the purpose of the number for the Galileo?
IP: Logged
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the episode was called "The Galileo Seven" and it was about a shuttle called the Galileo which was number 7, and there were seven people on board. . . 8)
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, in Star Trek V (AH! KILL IT!) had the Enterprise carrying 2 shuttles. The shuttles #3 and #5

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Enterprise
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Enterprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Th359,

DON'T YOU DARE GO KNOCKING STAR TREK V!!!!! Was it, dumb? Yes, but it had a few OK parts.

Now consider this on the shuttle issue. There is a hanger bay we haven't seen, so shuttles with other numbers in theory exist. Also, we shouldn't count only the shuttlecraft as having the numbers. For example, is it possible that when we see the number 5 painted on the side of a shuttle it means that is is 'auxillary vehicle 5.' Maybe there are travel pods and workbees that also have a number painted on.

------------------
Brandon "Enterprise" Grasmick
Commanding Officer, USS Sovereign (NX-74222)

"Captain, the Sona crew are willing to negotiate a cease fire. It may have something to do with the fact that we have 3 minutes of air left."
-- Worf

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
-- In time of war the law falls silent.

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there is only a certain number of shuttles that can fit in that hangar, and we also know their arrangement. So I guess you'd simply take Franz Joseph's blueprints and look it up.

Of course, Voyager's shuttles are constantly being rebuilt from spare parts tucked away in an area behind the main bay according to Rick Sternbach.

Boris

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding was there were 4 shuttles aboard. Additionally, there were smaller "workbee" like craft for external hull maintenance etc. the numbers alternated 1,3,5,7 for shuttles and 2,4,6,8 for workbees, which were essentially 1 or 2-man vehicles not muchuse for missions to planets, etc.

Or I could be wrong.

------------------
"You're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak."

- Chris Morris, Brass Eye

Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Columbus had a registry of NCC-1701/02.
IP: Logged
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I know the Encyclopaedia has a pic with a big "2" on it, but it was never quoted as such elsewhere. I don't think Okuda and co. gave it much thought.

The impressive-if-flawed Shane Johnston "MrScott's Guide to the Enterprise" goes with the odd/even regime I think.

------------------
"Now then, I believe Random Pavarotti disease is a psychological ailment and we should find it in the otherworldliness of Vince's brain."
"Ohw, rubbish. I reckon Random Pavarotti disease is a physical condition......
Let's go and look at 'is bum!"

-Rex the Runt

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that there were four.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps