Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U(?)SS Enterprise from ST:TMP (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: U(?)SS Enterprise from ST:TMP
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry guys, I couldn�t find the old thread, so I made a new one instead
U(?)SS Enterprise

Just scanned this pic from communicator. So, what�s with the USS and also the registry?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wtf?!?!? where is that from

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. We could still say the name is not Enterprise after all, but the USS/registry combination is a 'headache-o-mat'. Please try to explain (or shall we create our own little conspiracy and erase that thing from the records, saying we never saw it and it doesn't even exist? [Wink] ).

[Cool]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the pic as I said is from the magazine star trek communicator.
As to the USS, well, the simplest explanation is to assume that two different navies use the same shortening system. HMS stands for Her Majesty�s Ship in England, but here in Sweden HMS stands for Hans Majest�ts Skepp - translated into HIS Majesty�s Ship. Our ships most certainly aren�t british [Big Grin] So USS in this stands for something else than it does in starfleet.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Starship Freak
Member # 293

Oh, another thing, the ship is listed in the Star Trek spaceflight chronology as a Declaration-class starliner, a passenger ship. Question - any pics of starships in that book?

[ June 01, 2002, 06:03: Message edited by: pIn'a' Sov ]

--------------------

Starship Freak
Member # 293

ignore this post, Flare just hickuped [Embarrassed]

[ June 01, 2002, 06:04: Message edited by: pIn'a' Sov ]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps this is a 21st century american ship?
Those rings could be rotating sections to create gravity, it obviously posesses a pre-Impulse propultion system so it probably shouldn't be part vulcan as others had suggested.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it, since the ships in the book up to and after the development of warp drive have UNSS before their names, if memory serves. Also, I believe the Declaration class is either late 21st or early 22nd Century and most definitely had warp drive.

You can also argue that artificial gravity predates warp travel by several decades, since the Botany Bay quite obviously had its own gravity system.

In any case, any canon status this book had has largely gone out the window in recent years. (Not that it ever had much in the first place; how you could rectify the dating scheme of the book with Decker's line abt Voyager 6's launch date was beyond me.)

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(A point I made in the previous (U)SS Enterprise thread, but was ignored:)

The book "The Making of ST:TMP" says it's from the early 21st century, and was the first (sublight) ship to make it to the Alpha Centauri system. Non-canon, but very close to it, IMHO.

Since the TNGTM mentions Zefrem Cochrane to have relocated to the Alpha Centauri Colonies shortly after his breakthrough (suggesting they were founded even before the advent of warp drive), and the fact that the Charybdis was Mankind's third attempt to leave the Sol system (according to an Okudagram which was barely visible in "The Royale" but was reproduced in ST: The Continuing Mission) does not invalidate this.

--------------------
Signature.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri:
(according to an Okudagram which was barely visible in "The Royale" but was reproduced in ST: The Continuing Mission)

They mentioned it in the episode. And I guess you don't mean Reverend's Okudagram? [Smile]

And about the HER/HIS in HMS: I thought they change it depending on the person being queen/king? In other words if the person that replaces the queen of England is male, they all become His Majesty Ship. Right?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well either way it's still going to be HMS, isn't it?

If this "Making of TMP" info is correct then perhaps the Enterprise was the 5th Extrasolar mission, since Charybdis was the third and apparently a ship called Jacob was the forth.
quote:
FOLLOWUP MISSION JACOB RESULTED IN NEGATIVE TRACK
I've heard conflicting infomation on the first two missions, perhaps we could clear this up right now. Were the first two attempts sucessful or not? Okuda's literature seams to indicate that they infact failed, but what was actually stated on the show?

[ June 01, 2002, 10:47: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyle: No, not Reverend's hoax, obviously. While I knew the full text on the Okudagram I referred to, I didn't remember that the same statement was actually mentioned in "The Royale". It's been over a year ago since I saw that episode for the last time.

Reverend: I don't remember any other statements than that we know now about early sublight interstellar missions from Earth. But it's pretty obvious that, if we take the info from The Making of ST:TMP seriously (which I do, until it's contradicted), that the (U)SS Enterprise was part of an early 'exploration wave', which further included the Charybdis and the Jacob.

quote:
Were the first two attempts sucessful or not? Okuda's literature seams to indicate that they infact failed (...)
What can you tell more about that? Where did you hear/read this? Did Mike tell any other interesting things?

So, if two missions prior to the Charybdis and the Jacob failed, it's likely that the (U)SS Enterprise chronologically followed after the Jacob, since it obviously succeeded in its mission. Meaning that the (U)SS Enterprise was launched somewhere between 2038 (Jacob) and 2050 (to account for the 'early-21st century' info).

By the way, where did Communicator get the XCV-330 from, or did they make it up theirselves?

[ June 01, 2002, 16:33: Message edited by: Alpha Centauri ]

--------------------
Signature.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
it's pretty obvious that, if we take the info from The Making of ST:TMP seriously (which I do, until it's contradicted), that the (U)SS Enterprise was part of an early 'exploration wave', which further included the Charybdis and the Jacob.

Sounds reasonable enough.

quote:
What can you tell more about that? Where did you hear/read this? Did Mike tell any other interesting things?
Well the timeline at startrek.com says that the first two were unsucessful, the Chronology and Encyclopedia simply say that it was the third attempt which may or may not imply the previous missions failing.
However, I belive someone did mention that the dialogue indicated that this was the 3rd sucessful attempt to leave the solar system.
I'd just like to determine which is correct although I'm inclined to go with Okuda on this one.

[ June 01, 2002, 18:19: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pIn'a' Sov:
Sorry guys, I couldn�t find the old thread, so I made a new one instead
U(?)SS Enterprise

Just scanned this pic from communicator. So, what�s with the USS and also the registry?

That should be SS. Not USS.

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

Darkwing
Member # 834

- posted      Profile for Darkwing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pIn'a' Sov:
Oh, another thing, the ship is listed in the Star Trek spaceflight chronology as a Declaration-class starliner, a passenger ship. Question - any pics of starships in that book?

Yes, that is the first appearance of that illo, although it's based on a Jeffries sketch of a possible Enterprise from before he came up with the saucer and secondary hull idea.
Try this site for more: Vessels of SF

--------------------
Darkwing
If you don't drink the kool-aid, you're a *baaad* person - Rev Jim Jones
It is useless for sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while wolves remain of a different opinion - William Ralph Inge
Almond kool-aid, anyone? - DW
[email protected]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps