Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » An item to add to the list of inconsistencies

Author Topic: An item to add to the list of inconsistencies
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the original ST:TNG Technical Manual, there is a class 10 cargo shuttlecraft. And,in the ST: DS9 Technical Manual, there is a class 10 personnel shuttlecraft. Can Starfleet have two class 10 shuttlecrafts?

[This message was edited by Trinculo on May 20, 1999.]

IP: Logged
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For shuttles of different purposes, they certainly can. But if they made a Class-10 Personnel War Shuttle or something, that would be a different story :P

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan
www.gamingsector.com

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are Classes of shuttles and Types of shuttles. The shuttle in the DS9 Technical Manual is a Type 10 (possibly a Class 2, like Voyager's [transwarp] shuttle is a Class 2, Type 9).

------------------
"Isn't Y2K year 2048?? I mean last time I checked 1K was 1024.
Now that Y1.953125K, that's where the real problem lies..."

[This message was edited by Altair on May 20, 1999.]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides that, the TNGTM isn't exactly canon.

------------------
Garak: "I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences." (DS9: "Cardassians")

Trinculo
Ex-Member

The episode "Suspicions" has the Justman referred to as a Class 6 Shuttlecraft. The ST:TNG Technical Manual has the ship design listed as a Type 6 Shuttlecraft. From this evidence, type and class are interchangeable.
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They cannot be. Voyager's shuttles cannot be both type/class two and nine.

------------------
Garak: "I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences." (DS9: "Cardassians")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Voyager's crew decided that, since they're so far from Command, they can call the shuttles whatever they damn well please, and there's nothing anyone can do about it... :-)

------------------
"Sew, very old one! Sew like the wind!"
-Martin Short, The Three Amigos

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've come up with a pretty nice system over on the "official" tech. newsgroup, wherein a shuttle's class denotes its amount of internal space.

------------------
"You can't catch me where I'm gonna fall. You can't catch me where I'll hide. This world's too cold, this Nova rolls. I'm moving to the sun."
--
They Might Be Giants

Trinculo
Ex-Member

How did the Borg know the class of the shuttlepod in "Dark Frontiers" if the crew of Voyager randomly decided the class? Further, along this point, why would cadets in the academy be able to coin a phrase to describe the working conditions aboard said shuttlepod?
I see two possiblities for the class two and nine.
1. The class two and nine describe a shuttlecraft that shares a basic similarity in spaceframe design, yet has completely different technical specifications. (Class 15a and b and Class 16 shuttlepods of the ST:TNG technical manual.)
2. There was a change in the class designation. Up to the encyclopedia 2, the shuttlepod had no official class designation. The writers of the encyclopedia gave the shuttlepod a class designation. The writers of the series, either out of ignorance or deliberate intentions, changed the class designation.
The class denotes internal space. Interesting, but contradicted by the known classes. The smallness of the shuttles gives an idea of the internal space.
Class Two-Small
Class Six-Medium
Class Seven-Medium
Class Eight-Medium
Class Nine-Small
Class 10 CS-Large
Class 10 PS-Small to medium
Class 15a, 15b, 16, 18-Small

The class numbers seem to be random. It would make more sense if the Class 10 CS was either at the low end of the scale (1 to 5) or the high end of the scale (15 to 20). The very small Class 18 would be at the opposite extreme to the Class 10 CS. The remaining shuttles would fit in between these two. If the scale were so ordered, then yes I would accept the idea that class denotes internal space.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Well, really, class/type-9s aren't any smaller than class/type-10s.

------------------

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it should be clear that it was type 9A.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, you misunderstand.

A shuttle's type is its design. Type 6 is the standard TNG shuttle, for instance.

A shuttle's class is its size. So far, we've only seen a class 2 shuttle.

That's what I'm talking about. The discrepancy between the books is just a misuse of words. Current canon beats previous semicanon, after all.

------------------
"You can't catch me where I'm gonna fall. You can't catch me where I'll hide. This world's too cold, this Nova rolls. I'm moving to the sun."
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trinculo: "How did the Borg know the class of the shuttlepod in "Dark Frontiers" if the crew of Voyager randomly decided the class? Further, along this point, why would cadets in the academy be able to coin a phrase to describe the working conditions aboard said shuttlepod?" If that was in reference to my comment, I was joking. I haven't seen Voyager in over a year, and I stopped following it, so I don't know what you're referring to. I was just trying to be funny, apparently w/ little, if any, success...

------------------
"There's always a bigger fish..."
-Qui-Gon Jinn, Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

How do we know it's a type 9A?

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

The Type 9A comes from the TNG tech. manual...it's a cargo shuttle. Is that what you're asking?

------------------
--
They Might Be Giants

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps