Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » klingon ships

Author Topic: klingon ships
iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i want to know all the different classes of klingon ships so i can make a guide to the klingon fleet. i already have the info from starship spotter (great book) and the classes from armada 2. i am including all the game and fan fic ships, simply to flesh out their fleet. after all it is only reasonable to assume that the klingon fleet is as varied as the federation fleet. any help would be great. thanks.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, hunting down the visuals isn't too difficult. You can find all the onscreen ships by browsing through The Guardian of Forever or something. As for the unofficial, this page shows plenty of designs from multiple sources, while the FASA Klingon design family is described here.

The tech specs of the various sources are highly contradictory, so I encourage you to think up your own specs.

Personally, I think the Klingons might have a lower number of ship designs than the Feds - on-screen ship appearances certainly suggest this. It could be a cultural difference: Klingons have no tradition of fumbling from a design to another, but prefer to stick to something that works. "Modernization" translates to adding more features internally, not to altering hull design.

The number of Klingon ship manufacturers could also be lower than that of Fed manufacturers. Perhaps shipbuilding is strictly controlled by the government or by shipbuilding guilds of some sort. And perhaps everybody wants to fight aboard a ship like their forefathers', just as they fight with swords like those of their ancestors.

Timo Saloniemi

iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i get your point, its just i was thinking that they must have more designs then the six or seven we've seen. also what does FASA stand for?

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iam2xtreme:
also what does FASA stand for?

Fredonian Air and Space Administration.

Yes, really.

FASA were a games company (Role Playing and Board Games) that in the mid 1980s held the license to produce a Star Trek RPG. Some people attack FASA for being non-canon and inventing all sorts of stuff, however such a view misses the point that in 1983 no one knew that there would be another four shows and that to make an interesting and consistent role playing game you need to provide background information. But some (not all) of their ship designs surely did suck.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FASA really stands for nothing much. It's an acronym used by a role-playing manufacturer, and originally seems to have been some sort of an in-joke containing the word "Freedonia" (familiar from a certain Marx Bros flick)... "Freedonian AeroSpace Adminstration" or something like that. [Roll Eyes]

FASA used to be in the business of producing a relatively cool Trek RPG and designing truly butt-ugly ships for the said game. Fans have since expanded the game and added some better-looking ships to it. And some Trek novelists, Diane Carey in the forefront, have written cool books that rely on the FASA technical specs and timelines and are in gross conflict with the more widely used Okuda/Paramount specs and timelines... So you're likely to run into people who passionately hate FASA, for their lousy graphics and incompatible pseudohistories.

Me, I don't hate FASA. I just ignore it. [Razz] Starfleet Battles is a better RPG, and canonical ships are far cooler than the RPG ones anyway.

Timo Saloniemi

[Whoops, a bad case of replimus simultaneous. Is it Fredonian or Freedonian? I've heard the latter, but I'm really fuzzy about the origins of the name or the sources for the name.]

[ June 16, 2002, 22:57: Message edited by: Timo ]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps