Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » escape pods my theory

Author Topic: escape pods my theory
iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok ive read on various sites that people try and determine the age of a vesel using what type escape pods they use as evidence. well i think that is a pretty fudged up method personally. my theory is this=

>most ships have major refits after so many years. is it not possible and credible that when a ship has a refit it is given the latest most advanced escape pods?

this would explain why the rhode island has newer escape pods to the equinox. it also explains why akira and steamrunner class vvessels have the same pods as the sovereign even though they are older designs. its just that they have been refitted with the more advanced pods.

just what i think.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Generally, Trek ships don't show much signs of external refitting. This is of course because it's way too expensive to modify the photographic models of the ships (or even the modern CGI models) to reflect anything so subtle as a minor upgrade or an individual modification.

But in theory, it would be perfectly reasonable to install different kinds of lifepods on an entire ship class (explaining why the seemingly modern triangular pods are present in all the seemingly old Steamrunners and Akiras) or to select few members of a ship class (explaining the Nova class thing).

I just would like to see much more of this kind of upgrading. Perhaps externally visible lifepods on an Excelsior, or a new kind of a pod on a Miranda. Or strip phasers on any of the older classes.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Installing new lifepods, especially ones of different shapes, would require substantial modifications to the hull recesses that accomindates them (relative to the number of pods). Frankly, I don't how it'd be worth it, especially if the difference between different generations of lifepods are minor and superficial.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A escape pod is an escape pod. The all do the same thing, no matter if the're on the E-D or E-E or Voyager or the Defiant.
IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For once, BWC makes sense.

I still want to smack him about, however.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me or are the square things on the E-D and Voyager escape pod covers? Perhaps on the E-E there are no covers, just the pods? Seems to me when Voyager launched it's escape pods they were the same triangular shape. Maybe they're all the same shape, but some ships have covers?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
E-E's are triangular, what we see are the escape pods. TNGTM said the things we see on the hull of E-D are not the escape pods, but they are small boxes fitting exactly into the escape pod bays.
Defiant had somehow spheric escape pods (I think 8-sided), sitting below several larger hatches. Voyager had the same pods as Defiant below the hatches we saw on E-D. So the question is: Why do you put a round escape pod into a rectangular hatch?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TNGTM said the things we see on the hull of E-D are not the escape pods, but they are small boxes fitting exactly into the escape pod bays.
If they are boxes that fit into the bays, then where are the pods themselves? [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

I assume you mean they are just the escape pod hatches themselves and not the actual pods, which would actually be placed in the bays and covered by the hatches a la Voyager. Funny I always thought they were just the pods uncovered a la E-E. And I believe the TNGTM statement is in regard to when the ship is first launched and not yet outfitted that the boxes are there to fill in the void before the pods can be docked in during the outfitting.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm...isnt there a diagram which expicitly shows how the E-D's escape pods look like and shaped (as a cube)[i forget what page]

assuming u take the TNGTM as (almost)-canon information?

Buzz

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no reason why we can't believe TNGTM about the lifepods being square.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps