Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Romulans, Nemesis, Shuttles and Spiolers... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Romulans, Nemesis, Shuttles and Spiolers...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hannibal Lecter took 'em, along with the skin to the shuttlecraft.

[Mark tries in vain to imitate Lecter's slurping-hissing thing]

Anyway, I think it looks spiffy, though I question the actual need of it. What's wrong with using a shuttle for low-level searching? Or a hover-anything, for that matter? Perhaps antigrav technology can't work on this planet because of some wierd property of its isodiametricpseudomagnetic whatsit?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It appears to be a reject from MASK.
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one likes shuttles anymore.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Viewing the trailer, the Argo is both the name of the Jeep and the Shuttlecraft. The shuttle design is...neat. It has nacelles built directly into the bulk of the ship, with 4 little winglets that come out (big ones sloping downward on the bottom and little ones sloping upward on the top. They appear to compactly fit into the side of the shuttlecraft, kid of like how modern naval aircraft have foldable wings for use on aircraft carriers to save space.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the planet doesn't not support repulsors. Winged shuttle, and dune buggy's...

Still, they look AWESOME!

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wings could presumably still be vaguely useful for maneuvering even on a craft with antigrav.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Siwiak
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno... I bet my Saturn could beat the little dune buggy, what with my plastic sides and all making me light-weight. We'll have to wait for close-ups to see if its equipped with a CD-player, or just an AM radio.
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, has anyone nicknamed this new shuttle a hopper yet? 'Cause, you know, it seems vaguely like something that might be called that. I guess.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I find the design of the "Jeep" very bad. It's too contemporary and sticking Starfleet like plating on it doesn't cut it. [Roll Eyes]

Also, if the script I read was accurate, I really dislike the way it's used.

As to the shuttle, I wish one of these designers would do some research into actual aerodynamics instead of sticking fins and wings on things. And, just once, I'd like to see a wing with a wing's cross-section and not just a flat plywood panel. I can't really tell with this shuttle, but past experience doesn't give me much hope that this would be the case.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always figured a hopper would be good for transporting more then three people...
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I may get used to the shuttle, but why did they make it Batmobile-black instead of green? Only because it looks more fashionable, I suppose.

My god, that jeep is awful! Looks like it was ripped off from Mad Max or something like that. In addition, if it's really Federation, we have another inconsistency, considering that in the 23rd and 24th century no one seems to be familiar with cars or anything with wheels any longer (Harry didn't even recognize a car when he was standing in front of one). If you can have a hovercar (for 300 years) and all the nifty antigrav technology (for 200 years), why still build something with wheels?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeah. I was just talking randomly, it seems.

At the same time, we've heard the term "hopper" attached to a couple of really different-sounding vehicles. A civilian space-coupe and a military transport, among others, if I recall correctly. Perhaps it's 24th century slang for any dedicated surface-to-orbit vehicle? (The Space Shuttle would be a hopper, Apollo would not, even though both can go from the ground to orbit and back (albeit in rather different ways)). Or perhaps hoppers are more like proposed hypersonic ramjet flights from New York to Tokyo, with brief-exoatmospheric excursions along the top of their flights. In other words, vehicles primarily devoted to getting things from planet-point A to planet-point B, with escape velocity capabilities (since, really, what can't reach escape velocity in Star Trek, considering how compact some of those engines are) but not dedicated to a more general purpose mission profile like your average John Q. Shuttlecraft.

I suspect I've gotten a little far afield with this. Anyway, in my definition a hopper wouldn't have warp drive, which this shuttle appears to have. Or do my eyes decieve me?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps