Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » "Botany Bay" or "It's 1996 but where is Kahn?" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Botany Bay" or "It's 1996 but where is Kahn?"
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Space Seed yesterday. Since I had nothing better to do, I watched it and looked for "things". The Constitution-registry, for example. Didn't see it, but Kahn is reading a computer screen while being at sickbay, obviously something about starships. But I seemed to be a hand-drawn image of his own ship.

His own ship - when did he start? 1996 is the generally accepted date, but the german translation of the episode gives 2096. And not only once, but during the whole episode, multiple times.Kirk calls him a man of the 21st century, McCoy says he's from the last century, Spock gives the date of the Eugenic Wars as 2092-2096. I particularely like it because they mention that earth was ruled by some dictators at that time. It all makes sense - WW3, the post-apocalyptic scenario from Encounter at Farpoint, the World government sometime at the beginning of the 22nd century, Bashir's comment about them taking place 200 years ago, Voyager's timetravel back to '96 where everything seemed fine. Besides that, I don't remember the launch of a DY-100 class sleeper ship 6 years ago. [Smile]

And the synchronisation took place one or two years after the first airing, sometime around '70, so you can't say lateron they noticed this wont happen and changed it. Are you absolutely sure Spock said 1996? If so, we have another 'Independence-paradox'.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK 1996 is from TWOK.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, no.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWOK

KHAN
Do you mean he never told you the tale? To amuse your captain? No? Never told you how the Enterprise picked up the Botany Bay, lost in space in the year 1996, myself and the ship's company in cryogenic freeze?

TERREL
I've never even met Admiral Kirk.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kahn is making hot dogs and other deli meats i believe.. the question is, where is Khan?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
the question is, where is Khan?

On Fantasy island

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marvellously backstopping Germany to an eventual World Cup Championship.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capped In Mic:
the question is, where is Khan?

Given that he's been in deep space for the last 6 years, I'd say he's almost to Saturn by now...unless of course he hasn't fallen through the Voyager VI wormhole or been swept away by the "Charybdis aliens" or the Ares IV anomaly [Wink]

Quite a busy solar system when you stop to think about it.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I don't have time to explain this all again. Just go and read "The Eugenics Wars" Volumes 1 and 2 by Greg Cox. It'll explain everything.

V1 is out in paperback now.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Joke is the Ultimate! Recognize, and laugh!
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole thing sticking point about this is that in "Space Seed," it was stated that Khan & his gang were from 1996, but it also stated that "two hundred years ago" Khan was a prince. This is because at the time of the episode, TPTB were under the impression that Star Trek took place in the late 22nd century, not the late 23rd as would be affirmed later.

Unfortunately, when the movie came along, they decided to go with the original 1996 reference, even though in the 1980's when TWOK was made, it was glaringly apparent that there wasn't going to be any Eugenics Wars in 10+ years from then. Personally I would have gone for the "two hundred years" reference for TWOK, which would have put the Wars in the 2060's instead of 1996, according to the accepted ST dating system.

These days, references to the Eugenics Wars and sleeper ships occuring in 1996 is really just kind of stupid now, especially for the producers of Enterprise, who in trying to get new audiences would probably ignore all of it anyway. When the Special Edition of TWOK comes out, I hope they overdub Khan's 1996 line, but they probably won't.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
Oh, I don't have time to explain this all again. Just go and read "The Eugenics Wars" Volumes 1 and 2 by Greg Cox. It'll explain everything.
I haven't read it but I've heard that according to these books the Eugenic Wars happened in secret. I think that's bloody stupid. It's really not necessary to explain why we didn't notice that the war happened in 1996.

quote:
even though in the 1980's when TWOK was made, it was glaringly apparent that there wasn't going to be any Eugenics Wars in 10+ years from then.
Well, even in the 1960s it was apparent that there wouldn't be Eugenic Wars started by Khan 40 years from then.

[ June 24, 2002, 12:58: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Magnus:
Marvellously backstopping Germany to an eventual World Cup Championship.

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Wonderful. Not that I want to sound pessimistic, but South Korea will kick our butt out of the match.

Back to topic, I still don't see a reason why they should change it to 2096 in Space Seed. But I remember 1996 being mentioned in both the original and german version of TWOK. Maybe we can say Khan said the truth in Space Seed (2096), but his long exile and death of his wife made him go insane, and totally confused after that long time he thought he was from the year 1996 and knew Chekov from the Enterprise. The message Kirk was an Admiral now gave him the rest. What do you think? Possible answer for a long-lasting continuity-error? [Wink]

[ June 24, 2002, 13:59: Message edited by: Cpt. Kyle Amasov ]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Dukhat is talking sense at least.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spike said: "Well, even in the 1960s it was apparent that there wouldn't be Eugenic Wars started by Khan 40 years from then."

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Although I was just a kid during the sixties, I remember conversative foreasts for the far-off 21st century including nuclear war (probably between China and Russia, by about 1985), bases on the moon and nearby planets, flying cars, jetpacks, test-tube babies, cloning, and widespread use of metallic-based fabrics and large zippers. From 1967, 1996, just 30 years in the future, was considered a long ways away. If you had looked back to 1937 and seen how much the world had changed, a eugenics war in another 30 years didn't seem so unlikely. In 1982 Blade Runner suggested we'd have genetically engineered supermen (and flying cars) by 2018, which was 36 years in 1982's future but is now only 16 years in our future. Perhaps a bit optimistic, but cloning is probably possible soon and genetic engineering before birth already is.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps