Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Newish Thoughts Concerning DS9 Fleet Stuff

Author Topic: Newish Thoughts Concerning DS9 Fleet Stuff
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Favor the Bold" was on reruns yesterday, and I've been trying to piece together how the fleets worked in the context of that episode. Starting with the facts:

-We're talking about using *elements* of the second, fifth and ninth fleets. The third fleet would still be there to defend Earth.
-Shortly thereafter, Work and Martok head to Qo'noS to smack Gowron around until he gives them the ships they need. Off they go.
-When the minefield starts going down, Sisko takes what ships they have to DS9. The ninth fleet was still a day away, and the Klingons were also left from the plan.
-Following the re-taking of DS9, Martok becomes supreme commander of the ninth fleet, headquartered at DS9.

So, what have we got? In the area of Starbase 375, which is generally accepted as the closest Federation starbase to DS9, is of immediate proximity to two large Starfleet groups: the second and fifth fleets. The ninths fleet is most likely the next closest, being at least a couple days travel away from SB375. So, odds are that one of these fleets are centered at SB375, and that Sisko and the Defiant had been operating out of it.

And then there's the third fleet, which is not necessarily the closest fleet to Earth; it could easily be another adjoining fleet on the front lines, and simply be the one left there to deal with anyone trying to make a break for Sector 001. There could be another fleet protecting the Federation core worlds.

It's also interesting to note the mix of vessels in these fleets. According to VFX shots, Starfleet and the Klingons were working in concert in operations through at least the first three months of the war. Then, sometime between the season opener and "Favor the Bold", this was changed leaving the Klingons to fight their own battles, probably closer to the homeworld. Why would this be, or should this be? Perhaps the Klingons had been taking big losses, and wanted to consolidate their forces along more familiar fronts? The Rotarran was still working in the area, but then again Martok was the DS9 garrison commander. It may have been his job to stay in the area even if the other Klingons had been recalled to other fronts.

And then he'd placed in charge of the ninth fleet, which is obstensibly a mix of Klingon and Federation forces, judging by the diversity of ships we see around the stations thereafter. What could hav caused this change? Would the Defiant have been transferred to the ninth fleet, would she still be in the second or fith, or would she be operating independently?

I guess I'm just rambling... But I think there's some stuff inhere to talk about.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rambling indeed. 8)

I'm not seeing anything to disagree with, but I'm not reading anything to get particularly excited about either. But fear not, Marky, I'm sure someone here will!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
What could hav caused this change?

You scerwed up.... you dolt, you you.....

Sorry, but this was posted to make others feel better....

I was without a life at the time these aired... and really need to see the re-runs... so I can find out WTF happened..... damn, make a bad descision and get screwed for it.... I did learn to NEVER!!! help out inlaws....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You scerwed up.... you dolt, you you.....

Shit, me too.....

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hyoostun, wii hav a porblme!

funny, those thoughts dont look Newish *rimshot*

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps