Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What was the deal with the Pasteur model? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What was the deal with the Pasteur model?
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
as some have pointed out to me, the Enterprise did have consoles that said Transwarp
No, Shane Johnson faked these transwarp bridge displays for his book "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise".

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? You sure they weren't authentic, Spikey? I thought I remembered Johnson claiming they were, after being accused of altering them. [Confused]
Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.trekplace.com/interviews/sj-int01.shtml

Check questions 12 and 13. I do agree with Shane Johnson's reasoning on this one... heck, he had no idea what TNG or future movies would bring.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Johnson's info is truthful, I find it ironic that the producers at the time decided against the Enterprise-A being an Excelsior class out of fan distaste, only to have the Enterprise-B end up as an Excelsior years later.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Pregnant guppy"? Isn't the term "pregnant" usually reserved for things that are overly fat and rounded/lumpy? Not for a design that was the sleekest and most streamlined we had seen SF use so far?
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It still looks awful....

*puts on flame-proof suit*

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Edipissed Wrecks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*whoosh...fire shooting.....burn* consider yourself flamed, J. [Big Grin] the Excelsior is a Beauty!
IP: Logged
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes and no!

I admit I don't like the original Excelsior class very much. But it's not that bad. Only I always thought something was missing on that ship.

Funnily enough, the SFX guys added just these details I missed on the original when they turned it into the Excelsior refit for Generations. I therefor prefer the Enterprise-B type Excelsior ships.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Excelsior had the odds stacked against her, really. In ST3, she was introduced as the baddie ship, and the design certainly reflected the "barnyard bully" nature somewhat - especially the bulging secondary hull that was made all the much more "muscular" by using a teeny weeny deeply inserted deflector dish. The chase scene between the Excelsior and the Enterprise relied a lot on the visual impression of a petite, "feminine" E escaping the burly, brawny hitman of the big bad boys...

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall correctly, wasn't the original ship built to be a contempary to the Enterprise-D. There was the argument that, to the casual fan, other Starfleet ships didn't look different enough from the Enterprise that someone who watched the show only occasionally could spot the difference instantly. If they showed an Ambassador, for instance, the viewers wouldn't know it wasn't the Enterprise.

So with that in mind, George built a model that could, in no way, be mistaken for the Enterprise.

And Johnson said "Turbo-elevators", the only phrase in all of Trek that I find more annoying than "Enterprise-class".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And on a vastly larger scale, know that there IS a God, and that He knows your name and has stood at your side every moment, and that He has a unique plan for your life.
Well, that's cleared that up then.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading a critique of Excelsior from an issue of Cinefantastique when STIII was released. IIRC, the writer compared the secondary hull to a squeezed toothpaste tube.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps