Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9 novel Saratoga (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: DS9 novel Saratoga
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Let's assume for a moment Yamato's NCC-1305-E was not an error. And neither was the 71xxx. What if every time they reuse a name the ship automatically earns an A or B or whatever letter comes next. The captain or staff can choose whether to use the old registry + suffix or the 'factory code'. You'll be the next Captain of the Hood, and they ask you if you want to use the registry 42xxx-A or the standard 76100. Most of them choose the latter...."

That's exactly the theory I've been touting for years now.

Siwiak
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to find it more unrealistic for a Captain to have the choice in the whole NCC game. While I'd have liked to see a few more -As now and then, I agree that it should belong to a ship name is, for lack of a better word, special.

Just because Harriman didn't do anything noteworthy in the movie doesn't mean that the suffix dies with him. Besides the point that a more capable Captain could have taken command later on and saved the Earth again, it just doesn't make sense to kill the line if one ship isn't breaking the records.

There are a lot of naval vessel names that just get reused throughout history, because people grow attached to the name. Go to a history site and see just how many Lexingtons, Enterprises and so forth were built in the last 300 years. You don't scrap a name simply because something that got sunk before it had the same name... that's just not human. We give things names... we refer to them as "she," and we go so far as to pump a great deal of emotional investment into them.

Ah crap... I haven't really made any good points, and I'm too lazy just to delete this. I'm gonna take a nap.

IP: Logged
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I agree that maybe it shouldn't be that all ships get suffixes, but I think it's stupid that the Enterprise is the only one we've seen. (Apart from the Yamato, which was retconned out, and the Nash, which was...just plain wierd...)

I refuse to believe that no one besides Kirk did anything great enough to earn the honor.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they trying to suggest with the letters that it's the same ship? That it's only been overhauled, and this one has a new engine?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...the Enterprise is the only one we've seen. (Apart from the Yamato, which was retconned out, and the Nash, which was...just plain wierd...)"

And the Relativity.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thoughtchopper:
Are they trying to suggest with the letters that it's the same ship? That it's only been overhauled, and this one has a new engine?

Wha??? No.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good. Heinous alarms were going off in my head. Love of Star Trek was almost comprimised.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by the way, the novel sucked. it was a boring rehash of 'Reunion' except without the interesting characters, and the surprise revelation at the end was pointless and confusing. plus i dont think Friedman eve watched DS9 for all his grasp of Sisko's character.

yeah, and the A-suffix was stupid.

I think that the A suffix is given on a political basis, has to be approved by the Federation Council when they are doing the ships appropriation contract (based on NCC being Naval Construction Contract).. so basically, you get honored like that if your ship impressed the council or some political fund source. seems realistic, anyway. .. my theory also states that is only happened a couple dozen times since the inception of the Federation.. basically, suffix registries are so rare youll hardly ever see them, thus satisfying the TNG TM claim that they are rare, but supporting the non-canon works supposition that there are other ships that have it (which we know because there is a 1305-E).. ill find the relevant Galactopedia article.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as no one follows that weird fandom thing where dreadnoughts of a certain class were refitted into another class and they all got a '-B' suffix.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*brrrr*.. no those give me the willies.. that geocities page that helps perpetuate that has been (mostly) taken down, and most of the printed manuals that feature such idiocy should be in a book burning program by now

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And the Relativity.
And the Dauntless. Nobody aboard the Voyager seemed to be surprised to see a ship with a suffix.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
As long as no one follows that weird fandom thing where dreadnoughts of a certain class were refitted into another class and they all got a '-B' suffix.

I know, but as soon as he had to incorporate ships for the Excelsior class for example, he got some serious problems. Did you know that Reliant's successor was a Leavenworth-class ship? [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I know about the Leavenworth. IIRC ships of that class also have -B registries, no?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

capped
Member # 709

http://captainmike.org/Galactopedia/r2.html#registry
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gift-horse staring is not high on the recreational activities list for desperate people.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps