Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » I need some serious f*cking help...

Author Topic: I need some serious f*cking help...
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm trying to write up an entry for the U.S.S. Relativity for my shiplist. I have this one teeny weeny little problem, though...

I'VE NEVER SEEN THE EPISODE "RELATIVITY" (VGR)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just read through the startrek.com syopsis three times, as well as several related databse entries, and I just can't seem to get it. The plot involves a lot of complicated time travel (never my strong suit) and I'm just getting frustrated here. [Mad]

So, can somebody clue me in? What exactly was the flow of events in this ep, and what exactly was the role that the Relativity played?

Thanks a ton,
-MMoM [Big Grin]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoah. Like "fuck" and stuff...

The thread title, I must add, is quite the truism.

[ July 11, 2002, 01:03: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's been a while since I've seen the episode, but I can help you get the basic stuff.

The Relativity was the base of operations for Braxton and his lieutenant (can't remember the name). They monitored the disruption in the timeline and transported Seven of Nine back and forth through different time periods in an effort to prevent Voyager from meeting an early doom.

Basically, the Relativity is a warp-capable starship of a radical design from the 29th Century. I think it was implied that this is Braxton's ship, but I not sure. It came with timeline monitors and a transporter capable of beaming individuals through time (although doing it too many times can cause death or something like it). It might also have some device that takes multiple copies of the same individual from different periods in time and integrates them into one being. Airbags are standard, I believe.

By the way, Monkey of Mim, thanks for brighting my night. On the forum summary page, this thread shows up as "I need some serious f*cking." [Smile]

[ July 10, 2002, 22:57: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LT Ducane, Texas Boy. Played by Jay Karnes, who's now Detective Holland "Dutch" Wagenbach on "The Shield."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you've got a half hour to kill (or are REALLY curious), I'd strongly recommend checking out Jim Wright's review and summary of "Relativity." This guy really knows how to ramble, but he sure gets all the details down right, and makes a bunch of witty comments on the side. It's about as close as you can get to seeing the episode without actually watching it.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is almost no information about the ship in the episode though. You only ever see the bridge and the exterior of the ship (you should be able to find schematics for both pretty easily).

The ship is supposedly of the Wells Class.

All the technical capabilities mentioned before are correct, as far as I remember.

The notable thing is that this ship can beam individuals through time whereas the Aeon (Capt. Braxton's ship from "Future's End") actually had to create a vortex and travel through time herself.

We never really found out whether or not the Relativity could travel through time herself, though I would assume she could.

Incedently, I've always kind of figured that the Aeon was the 29th century equivilant of a runabout or shuttle and was probably stored on a ship like the Relativity being used for temporal away missions.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry if the episode synopses didn't make a lot of sense. The episode itself didn't, either.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Don't worry if the episode synopses didn't make a lot of sense. The episode itself didn't, either.

Well, it sure sounds like it! God, I hate sloppily-done time travel plots... [Roll Eyes]

Thanks for the link, MinutiaeMan!

Siwiak
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Voyager episodes go, a smile crossed my face everytime an episode came along where the ship was blown up, then un-done. While the plot was generally better then the majority of episodes in that series, it did give us our best look at Utopia Planitia aside from that really small image of the surface in a certain TNG episode.

As the plotline goes, in basic, a Braxton from the future is trying to blow up Voyager because he went insane after being stuck back in the 90's in another Voyager episode. Another Braxton, this one being an earlier version of himself, was in command of the Relativity and in charge of unknowingly hunting down his future self. Like Minority Report, they hunt down people before the crimes occur... only, we have the fun of seeing Voyager blow up once. Seven of Nine, due to her Borg implants, has the unique ability to see the temporal explosive and is recruited by the future guys to run around Voyager during times that range from Kazon attacks, the present, and even at UP before the ship's launch. After killing off a few Sevens, they finally get it right and capture Evil Braxton with Janeway's help. All the events are un-done after they capture Evil Braxton, he spills his beans and tells them when he first came aboard and planted the bomb, and they prevent most of the episodes events from technically happening.

Somehow, they manage to reintergrate the various Braxtons, Janeways and Sevens back into their timelines.

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can actually get a fairly good idea of the events of the episode from Krenim's Series ?.
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, and have great fun all the while... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps