Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » VK? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: VK?
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what the ship prefix VK means? Eg. the VK Konovalov from Tom Clancy's "The Hunt for Red October" or the VK Velikan and VK Yuri Gagarin from the TNG episode "Up the Long Ladder".

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not VK Konavalov, it's V. K. Konavalov. Apparently the TNG production team thought that "VK" was a prefix of some sort when in fact it would be like naming s a ship M. S. Gorbachev or L. E. Brezhnev.

As it stands, "Velikan" is the name of the chief engineer from "Red October," & apparently his descendants or some other branch of his family has discovered/will discover a star named for then, the 5th planet of which will be colonized & have a Federation shipyard in orbit of it.

And if I have to explain to you who Yuri Gagarin was, I'mma paddle yo' AZZ.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's not VK Konavalov, it's V. K. Konavalov. Apparently the TNG production team thought that "VK" was a prefix of some sort when in fact it would be like naming s a ship M. S. Gorbachev or L. E. Brezhnev.
Thanks for the information.

quote:
As it stands, "Velikan" is the name of the chief engineer from "Red October,"
It's also the Russian word for "giant".

quote:
And if I have to explain to you who Yuri Gagarin was, I'mma paddle yo' AZZ.
Well, I didn't ask who he was.

[ July 11, 2002, 11:03: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
VK?

Zlyydhaqw asjk Qeiornxmyxc! [Big Grin]

Since it's obviously an error to have the VK-prefix, we can try to come up with a meaning for it. Maybe it's the name of the company running the ship, something like DY (allthough the DY-company seems to be a ship manufacturer, the VK-guys could be a transport company or Star Trek's equivalent of B5's Interplanetary Expeditions.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All replicants know that VK is short for "Voight-Kampf"!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't need any sort of complicated explanation, though. It's just part of the name of the ship. Hoorah!
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
We don't need any sort of complicated explanation, though. It's just part of the name of the ship. Hoorah!

But that's boring! [Frown]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One context where I have seen VK used is when civilians abbreviate "warship" or "battleship". VK could in theory stand for "voyenyy korabl", literally "military ship".

Granted, the ships in "Up the Long Ladder" were performing the arguably civilian missions of colonization and exploration - but since we know the USSR will be reinstated anyway, it's not that much of a stretch to think that the military will take over all their space activities...

In any case, it's plausible to interpret the K in the prefix as "korabl". V could then stand for some counterintuitively chosen word for "space" or "star" or "colonization" or whatever.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but since we know the USSR will be reinstated anyway, it's not
that much of a stretch to think that the military will take over all their space activities...

LOL! That's right, I guess it is. Seeing as Leningrad (and NOT St. Petersburg) seems to pop up at least twice. Once in TOS I think and then again in TVH, where the Alien weather guy was listing cities and their weather conditions. He was AWESOME! [Embarrassed] ) "Tokyo... 45% cloud cover..." I remember recommending a new series being based on him... instead of Enterprise... I still do ;o) (well PLUS Porthos). [Embarrassed] )

It's a wonder they've never tried a Star Trek half-hour comedy format... maybe something like The Odd Couple. Quark and Odo for example! [Embarrassed] ) "Quark Quark Quark" ;o) Tony Randall could guest-star as Morgg the Klingon Landlord! [Embarrassed] )

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, right. You're seemingly bashful today.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

It's a wonder they've never tried a Star Trek half-hour comedy format... maybe something like The Odd Couple. Quark and Odo for example! [Embarrassed] ) "Quark Quark Quark" ;o) Tony Randall could guest-star as Morgg the Klingon Landlord! [Embarrassed] )

Star Trek comedy episodes MAKE ME PISS MY PANTS!

Therefore a comedy show would cause me to run out of trousers. This would not be good.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, strip down to your underware. Problem solved.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Underware? Sounds like a crappy L337 H4XX0RZ site.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose Underware is to cover a 1337 H4XX0R'5 software.

HAR!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, come on, this seems like perfect fodder for a Timo Explanation.

Consider: Chekov says that being stuck on Mudd's planet, surrounded by nubile and willing androids, is "even better than Leningrad." Well, St. Petersburg, like your typical Russian big city, is not exactly the Funnest Place on Earth. Certainly nothing to compare to an army of android servents.

Unless what Chekov was talking about wasn't Leningrad, but Leningradtm, just one of several such parks owned by Historical Amusments Ltd. Other HA sites include Constantinopletm (Enjoy the beautiful Black Sea while being pampered like a 5th century emperor!) and New Amsterdamtm (Relax in the easy pace of colonial America.)

See? Easy.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps