Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Phaser Blisters? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Phaser Blisters?
Red BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remeber reading someplace on the net about how the phaser rings on the Galaxy classes were inefficent due to having to recharge and making a big target. He said that a replacement would be a phaer blister, which was like a phaser bank, but had the 'modern' phasers. If you understood that, do you think it would be practical?

Man, I wish I could find that site.

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A.) Since the whole thing is fictional, it seems impossible to say that strips are "inefficient," since, if they were, Starfleet would presumably not use them.

B.) We have seen that it is possible to install modern phasers in the turret mounts of older ships.

C.) That modern starships do not utilize turret mounts unless they have very special reasons (Ex: The Defiant and her famous disappearing regular phaser mount.) suggests that there are advantages to strips that are not present in turrets.

D.) Since a decent-sized phaser strip does not utilize the entire length of the strip to "charge," it would seem that a strip is more resistant to enemy fire, not less. The entire strip (or at least most of it) would have to be destroyed to render the phaser inoperative.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stripped phasers were made to replace phaser blisters, going back seems like a rather silly idea. The firing arc, redundancy, and flexibility offered by stripped phasers, among other things, are unmatched by old phaser blisters.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Red BWC
Ex-Member

I think you are confusing phaser bank for phaser blister, because it said that they were developed to counter the borg...
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAITwaitwaitwaitwaitwait....are you proposing some sort of pimple-like phaser-block blob on the hull that pops out little phaser bolt pus streams? Beam-weapon acne?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And in the atmosphere that pus stinks too....

What would the difference be between a bank and a blister???

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Red BWC
Ex-Member

Well, intsead of a place firing a shot, these are a group of them arranged in a shep for a firing arc. (Think of the Excelsior, for instance.)

Ah, hell, I dont know.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kind of like arguing who's imaginary friend can beat up the other's.

Then again, so are more dangerous debates, i.e. religious.

Therefore, continue in the interests of world peace [Wink]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Red BWC:
I think you are confusing phaser bank for phaser blister, because it said that they were developed to counter the borg...

Ah, right, so they are a modern thing then.

quote:
Originally posted by Red BWC:
Well, intsead of a place firing a shot, these are a group of them arranged in a shep for a firing arc. (Think of the Excelsior, for instance.)

A modern thing built to fight the Borg based on the Excelsior-class?

Confusion is running rampant here. Let's look at what we have...

TOS phasers, which I shall ignore cause I can.

Movie-era phasers, which we only ever saw in TWOK. Used turrents.

TNG and beyond phasers, which are in a strip.

Movie-era ships in TNGs time, which used turrents, but fired phasers that looked and sounded like phaser-strips.

Fuck-off machine gun phasers, used by the Defiant, because it is Teh B0000rG K1lll3r!!!!!

By "phaser blisters", are you referring to the Miranda et al in TNGs time type of phaser?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Red BWC
Ex-Member

Imagine a Defiant firing a regular phaser shoot out of it's phaser cannon.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. So pretty much like a Miranda firing a regular phaser shot out of its turrent. Or an Excelsior.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he might be describing something along the lines of several phaser cannons placed along the hull in a strip-like pattern and firing phaser pulses like the Defiant's phasers (or like the Reliant's roll-bar phasers or the Enterprise's turret phasers in ST2)

I remember some fan ship that featured these blisters and thought them to be quite redundent in design and operation since it would just be set of turreted banks or cannons placed along the hull. Nothing special or new.

In fact, now that I think about it, the ship was a refitted/upgraded Intrepid class. The blisters were placed right beneath the dorsal strips (following the course the strips took along the hull) on the saucer and they still kept the strips.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are probably thinking of Paul Cargile's Starfleet Military Reserves. There's a page there on some kind of advanced phaser that combines the principles of the strip phaser emitter with the compactness of the old phaser bank.

Of course, it's all just so much technobabble, but that's what we live for, right? [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a total fanboy site if I've ever seen one. And by fanboy, I mean the supermegabattleshipdreadnaught building sorts.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welll.... yeah, kinda. But I think that the inspiration behind this site was, "what kind of weapons could the Federation field if they put their minds to it, rather than relying on the tired old phasers and torpedoes?" Yeah, it's a bit fanboyish, but at least it's pretty well thought-out. And some of the gadgets are pretty interesting, IMO.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps