Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Lexington query

Author Topic: Lexington query
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was amending my ship list recently (as for those that have them seem to do quite regularly), and I suddenly noticed an oddity surrounding the USS Lexington, or Lexingtons, I should say.

It seems to me that this is perhaps another example of two ships of the same name being in service together.

The Excelsior Lexington (NCC-14427) was involved in the TNG episode 'Thine Own Self', set in about the year 2370. However, the Nebula class Lexington appears in DS9 in the third season, roughly the following year. The oddity being though that the Nebula Lexington carries the registry of NCC-61832, suggesting it's been in service for around 20 years, I'd say.

So this begs the question, what the heck's going on with this??

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They screwed up.

Look here:
http://frankg.dgne.com/swdao/misc.html#lexington

Personally, I just say this (a quote from my shiplist):
"There seems to be a rather serious inconsistency concerning this ship. Dialogue in the episode implies that Dr. Lense served aboard the vessel since at least 2369, which is before the mention of the Excelsior-class Lexington in “Thine Own Self” (TNG). Whether or not this indicates that the two Lexingtons were in service at the same time is unclear, though it might appear so.""

Best to just let it lay where it is.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had this discussion not too long ago, but since you weren't around, you've got a good excuse. [Wink]

Basically, the conclusion was that Okuda was wrong. The Lexington was only mentioned in "Thine Own Self," not seen. Okuda conjectured it to be an Excelsior with the registry NCC-14427. However, in DS9, the Nebbie Lex (which was seen), was stated to have been in service even before the TNG reference to it. Therefore, the Lexington was always a Nebula, and the Excelsior reference should be ignored (IMO).

If there's ever going to be a fourth edition of the Encyclopedia, Okuda will probably note this.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you, Mighty Monkey of Mim, for answering before me! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thanks for that guys, I've taken the necessary notes....

It seems that spotting even the tiniest thing that someone hasn't spotted before is becoming rarer and rarer.

I was also going to bring up the Ahwahnee problem again, but dragging you out to flog one dead horse today is enough, methinks...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could say that the Excelsior-Class Lexxi was destroyed in 2370 and Starfleet gave the Captain an old(ish) Nebula-class as a replacement, which they renamed Lexington, just to stop him from crying.....but then everyone got killed at the Battle of Typhon.
THE END
?
[Razz]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my own ship list (unpublished so far), I keep the entry of the Excelsior-class Lexington, and figure that it was a "real" ship, but we have no idea when it served or when it was destroyed, since it wasn't seen/mentioned in an episode. I just keep it there for completeness's sake. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps