Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Raven/colony ship connection

Author Topic: The Raven/colony ship connection
iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone noticed that the colony ship in Armada 2 is in actual fact the same class of ship as the uss Raven. I've looked on every site i can find and none of them seem to make this connection. Am I the first to notice?

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that highly doubtful. IIRC, the Armada colony ship was gigantic. The Raven was a small science ship. They might have looked somewhat similar to you, but their size differences make them quite different ships.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but the ships in armada were not correctly scaled. Take the Sovereign and Scout classes for example. I'll try to find pics to prove my point.

--------------------

iam2xtreme
Member # 836

http://www.strategyplanet.com/starmada/raceinfo/federation.htm

Scroll down to see the colony ship.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/raven.jpg

Thats not a top view but you get the idea ofthe shape.

As for things like crew they never were accurate in the game and were adapted to make the game work better.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I can now definitely see the resemblance. Basically what I was saying was that in the "real" Star Trek world, there would be no way that the Raven type ship would be used as a colony ship, because of it's small size. However, there have been precedents for small colony ships (i.e. the Conestoga, the Santa Maria).

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that site is pretty cool

quote:
A favorite of many a Star Trek fan, the Akira is a medium level ship in terms of offensive and defensive capability.
WH4T!?? MEDU1M!?!?!?!? 1T C4NT K1LL M4NY B0RG CUBES!!! 1T 15 SUPP05ED 2 B TEH B0GR K1LLER!!!!! 1T W45 DES1GNED 2 D0 B0GR K1LLING IN 2397!!!!!
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps "medium" is an acronym of sorts? M3NY ENARGIE< DASTYROYER IN UNIVEARS!1 MASTER!!1 I DONT KNOE!12

I got...nothing.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iam2xtreme:
Has anyone noticed that the colony ship in Armada 2 is in actual fact the same class of ship as the uss Raven. I've looked on every site i can find and none of them seem to make this connection. Am I the first to notice?

You are not. [Smile] I'm going to assume that these two were supposed to be the same class in my upcoming you-know-what. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two ships are similar enough in shape that it seems likely the Raven was the basis for the game design. Though, I agree, had better research been done, the game designers would have realized that the Raven-type ship is pretty small to make a believable colony ship. The Raven looks like it only has 4 or 5 decks and doesn't look any bigger than the Defiant, if it's even that big. So we're talking 50 - 70 people tops including the ship's crew. But that would be cramped quarters.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe... that's funny, it kinda reminds me of the scaling problems whenever the Orbital Office Complex/ Regula station is used as a starbase or research station. Same facility, different scales. Unless they do an Executive Shuttle + refit = USS Jenolen.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks more like a Runabout to me.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

iam2xtreme
Member # 836

quote:
Originally posted by Red Ultra CaptainMike Pym:
that site is pretty cool

quote:
A favorite of many a Star Trek fan, the Akira is a medium level ship in terms of offensive and defensive capability.
WH4T!?? MEDU1M!?!?!?!? 1T C4NT K1LL M4NY B0RG CUBES!!! 1T 15 SUPP05ED 2 B TEH B0GR K1LLER!!!!! 1T W45 DES1GNED 2 D0 B0GR K1LLING IN 2397!!!!!
Nice........... But you gotta remember that the site is for the game and as already stated the game is anything but accurate. Everythings been tweaked to make the game more even playing.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps