Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » So Wolf 359 research isn't dead after all (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So Wolf 359 research isn't dead after all
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just pre-ordered Season 4... so I'll go into the behind the scenes first when August 3rd arrives. Anyway, it really seems that the Princeton was a leftover casting of the Ambassador Class from Yesterday's Enterprise with the 4 foot Galaxy Class nacelles left over. The positions of the phaser strips from the Season 3 pic and the scale makes me see that. Look at how big the Ambassador Class filming model was when Greg put fireworks to it and look at the Princeton. They are in scale and in the same general shape.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that what was always theorized?
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really because I remember before that people speculated that the saucer was from the 4 foot Galaxy Class with a modified secondary hull from the Ambassador Class.

In theory, Greg had leftover casted pieces of the Enterprise-C, just like he had with the 4 foot Enterprise-D model. So he took one Ambassador saucer and secondary hull and three Galaxy nacelles to make the Princeton. Then he took one Galaxy nacelle and one Ambassador saucer and made the Firebrand.

[ July 26, 2002, 14:02: Message edited by: Vice-Admiral Michael T. Colorge ]

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had the money to buy all the sets. I only have Season 1, then again everything in my room is being butchered by my family on who gets what...

As for the Niagara and Freedom classes, then why does the Ambassador class suacers look different? I know the nacelles are almost the same exact ones as the Galaxy class, but the saucer?

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Niagara saucer isn't round, though. So it isn't a leftover E-C saucer. The stuff on top of it might be, but not the saucer itself.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However, the Princeton's bridge module is the same as the Ent-C's, only turned around, & modified slightly.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ECHO.....echo.....echo.....echo....

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the consensus the Princeton's primary hull is a cast from the 4-foot Amabassador model? The Ambassador hull is a circle, and I can't convince myself that the pictures of the Princeton model in the workshop show a ship with a circular primary hull. The pictures of the Ambassador model doesn't look like that from any angle.

With the stretched-looking nacelles from the BOBW screen-cap, I think the model used an elliptical Galaxy primary hull and nacelles but that its image was vertically stretched to make the hull look circular.

What we need is a 3-D modeller to try to fit ship parts to those pictures.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vice Admiral: Whoops, I thought you were just talking about the engineering hull.

Yeah, the saucer is elliptical, not round. The bridge module is the only part of the saucer that's from the Ambassador. I thought the deal was that the rest was a custom-built piece, just like that of the Freedom...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

I hope that we find out what ship is made out of what when Season 4 is released at September...

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the lower pylon is certainly not from a Los Angeles class sub. At first i thought it could be from the typhoon class but if you look at this schematic and then compare it to the shape of the pylon they are not the same. Particularly noticable is the taper of the sub's sail compared to the constant width of the pylon.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they made the Princeton and ?Firebrand? (Is that a legit name?) from galaxy class saucer sections but cut off the 'flat' part - i.e. the underneath part without the 'flat rim'? Or maybe a cut down top half (although making it nice and neat would be harder with out the 'crease' of the 'rim' to guide cutting.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new picture serves as kind of a MSD. It's not cut exactly along the keel, but if you squint you can sort of make out that the ventral primary hull is flat on its outer part with a hump in the center.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed the Arboretum windows on the saucer - I'm guessing then it maybe a Galaxy saucer.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Maybe they made the Princeton and ?Firebrand? (Is that a legit name?) from galaxy class saucer sections but cut off the 'flat' part - i.e. the underneath part without the 'flat rim'? Or maybe a cut down top half (although making it nice and neat would be harder with out the 'crease' of the 'rim' to guide cutting.

A nice idea, but one that wouldn't really work that well.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps