Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Can O' Worms goes *POP*! (Spacedock ship) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Can O' Worms goes *POP*! (Spacedock ship)
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure this particular detail hasn't been mentioned before, so here goes....

I finally got a copy of "The Art of Star Trek" a few days ago and noticed something about the "ship" in spacedock we all know and love. (page 212 of the paperback) It looks like this thing has a TOS style deflector (or sensor, whatever) dish on the end facing the camera. I've tried to get a decent scan, but nothing comes close to the clarity of seeing the actual book in good light. Below is the best I could do. You can sort of see a lighter crescent marking one side of the dish. Looking at the actual book, I can also see a dark crescent on the opposite side of the dish.
 -

Opinions? Flames? Let me have it! [Big Grin]

B.J.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, welcome to Flare...

This has been discussed, in a relatively long thread, if memory serves... please use the search function, since I am too tired to find it and post the link

Good luck here......

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, this particular item hasn't been discussed. This, uh, TOS deflector dish. The "ship" certainly has though.

The scans make it very hard to see, but I'll check out the picture tomorrow when I get to the book. I sort of might maybe see what you're describing, but it's very undecipherable.

[ July 28, 2002, 22:38: Message edited by: Magnus Pym Eye ]

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:

This has been discussed, in a relatively long thread, if memory serves... please use the search function, since I am too tired to find it and post the link

Yes, as MPE says, the ship has been discussed, but the feature (the "dish") has not. If only you knew how long I've been lurking on these forums.... [Razz] And I did use the search function, and came up with nothing specific to this.

BTW, you really need to see this picture in the book in person. No scan will do it justice.

B.J.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh my little ship ;o)

So, now armed with some NEW scans - well the same thing but new scans - can those people who would believe now see the little nacelles and the white-ish baby saucer sitting on top of the trapezoid between each nacelle. The saucer does seem to wash into the background at the top.

Interesting about the dish - I don't think it necessarily has to be a TOS saucer - it could very-well just be round or look more like the Enterprise Refit or even the Excelsior dishes.

I'll have to have a look at my copy of The Art of Star Trek.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh my little ship ;o)

So, now armed with some NEW scans - well the same thing but new scans - can those people who would believe now see the little nacelles and the white-ish baby saucer sitting on top of the trapezoid between each nacelle. The saucer does seem to wash into the background at the top.

Interesting about the dish - I don't think it necessarily has to be a TOS saucer - it could very-well just be round or look more like the Enterprise Refit or even the Excelsior dishes.

I'll have to have a look at my copy of The Art of Star Trek.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little photoshoping...

-

While this is far from clear, there is most definitely some kind of assembly in that inset area that sticks out past the hull.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy Jesus, not this thing again...

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES!!!

Difficult to make out. And if it is a deflector dish, isn't it on the wrong side?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it's just a generic circular feature, rather than a sensor dish. For a start there dosen't appear to be a TOS style spike and it dosen't glow like the C-Refit and Excelsior deflectors.

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta be the devil's advocate here and point out that if it wasn't a ship, and just a feature of the Spacedock wall, that could easily be a random circular greebly piece.

But, i will go on to say that, since we have a schematic, and it will never matter anyway, I'm just calling it a ship. You now have the CaptainMike Seal of Approval™

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah.. I tend to think it's a ship too. There's got to be someone out there who knows what that is. Someone on the creative team, I mean. This forum is great at bugging people...let's track this dude down...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't I just read that the ST3:TSFS DVD will have among its extras a bit on "Space Docks and Birds of Prey"?

Here's hoping we get at least a few new reference shots of the dock model...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Reverand, that schematic is priceless! Wow! Great stuff. It's exactly how I envisiged it.

Andrew

P.S. nothing is glowing on that cargo ship - not the deflector, nothing. I think it is powered down or... something.

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this thread is SO 1999
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps