Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Federation rain gear? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Federation rain gear?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What examples are there? We know from numerous episodes that Starfleet uniforms can really soak up water. What happens if they ever run into a rainy planet? And why in over 35 years of Trek has no one ever beamed up or down to one, hm?

The only example I can think of off the top of my head is the trenchcoat -like thing Admiral Janeway was wearing when he was visiting Chakotay's grave. But that's more like a casual, non-combat sort of thing.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, more than just rain gear, there seems to be a disturbing lack of variety in Starfleet uniforms. The jumpsuits eem to see all the action, despite the terrain or climate. The only example I can think of of climate specific uniforms is the episode where Sisko, Jake, Ezri, and Grandpa go to the desert planet and find the Emmissary Orb.

Is there any other example of different uniforms for different climates?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Four hundred years, I would imagine there'd be some fairly all-weather material invented. I mean, we have Gor-Tex out now, right?
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The spacesuit for the Y-Class planet [Big Grin]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
like thing Admiral Janeway was wearing when he was visiting Chakotay's grave.
That explains a lot.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still, it is kinda odd that away teams either have to go down in full self-contained spacesuits....or exposed normal shipboard uniforms.

I mean, you'd expect a whole suite of gear, simple breather masks for near-earth environments with just small changes in atmosphere, parkas for slightly colder areas, containment suits for planets with unfamiliar virii, etc.

Its not like they lack the energy, design skills, or storage space.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They wore those light protective cowls in TOS, they could easily keep the rain off you.

And as to cold weather gear, they wore those parka-suits in both DS9 and VGR.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah! Even Lost in Space and Battlestar Galatica had gear. I clearly remember parkas on both shows and breathing masks on BSG. TOS had those funky, cheap-looking red suits and silver suits, of course.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Red BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They had those field jackets in 'The Cage'. They could provide rain, cold, and heat protection...
IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has everyone forgotten that we've seen two differnt types of field jacket as well as desert gear in just the last year of Enterprise?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once tried on a maroon Wrath of Khan field jacket at a convention. it made me look like an oompa loompa. that was before i lost all sorts of weight, though.

the big pockets all over would be a great place to stash some weed (thus satisfying the bizarre stereotype that i must frequently bring up mind altering substances, even though i dont think i do so except for rarely..)

but then again, i am pretty drunk right now

the solar system patch on the shoulder was nifty.. but what the hell did it mean?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*takes three drinks*
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quark and Odo wore those pretective jackets to keep them warm in an episode of DS9 ("Ascent"?)

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And they appeared to be much the same costumes as the ones worn by the future Kim and Chakotay in "Timeless" - except that Odo and Quark had theirs cut-and-resewn.

As for rain gear, I'd *love* to see the "life support belts" of TAS being used in this role. I imagine it would be relatively easy to use a combination of fake rain on the set foreground/background plus some CGI to create an otherwise invisible or perhaps slightly glowing forcefield "bubble" that surrounds the actors and deflects the rain...

I don't think we have yet seen our heroes in heavy rain, at least not when they were otherwise properly equipped. This sort of futuristic "umbrella" would be a really nice touch, and an �bercool visual effect. Plus it would be a TAS referece, however obscure...

As for why we haven't seen this tech before: one could say that this is the future equivalent of an umbrella and not of a raincoat. Those tough military types don't use umbrellas, except when they are acting un-tough and sensible for a change. I could easily see Archer's crew being a bit more "civilian" and stooping to using the forecefield umbrellas.

Then again, TAS belts might be a bit anachronistic for ENT. What I'd REALLY like to see would be these umbrellas in action in a TOS or TNG movie, with the heavy implication that they are NOT new supertech but rather standard 23rd or 24th century consumer gadgets.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet tradition seems to be that if a team lands on a hot or wet (preferably hot and wet), crewmembers (preferably female) strip down to their undergarments (mostly Torres and Janeway).

The "The Cage" jackets were the only thing of the sort we saw on TOS, apart from the flimsy red and silver suits. Movies 1-6 had all sorts of field jackets and protective suits.
TNG had no suits whatsoever. The only different uniforms were Beverly's surgeon-suit and some early jumpsuits on engineering extras.
VOY did have a lot of different uniforms, but mostly without an obvious reason (a training uniform and two kinds of field uniforms). Finally, DS9 had desert and combat suits. And those FC uniforms look a bit warmer and tougher than the previous uniforms.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps