Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Always with the bird

Author Topic: Always with the bird
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out this pic here - it's a screen shot from the new Zelda game for the GameCube. Before you say "what the hell has this got to do with Star Trek", the first thing I thought when I saw this image was how the bird's form so distinctly matches that of the Klingon battle cruiser. The resemblance is uncanny IMO.

Anyway, it just got me thinking how every Klingon ship we've ever seen, including the "new" Raptor from Enterprise, is based on the appearance of a real life bird of prey.

Also, the Romulans have ships that have heavy bird influence and, like the Klingons, their ships are most common green. It's almost as if the Klingons and Romulans get together when they are designing new ships.

Thoughts?

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The graphics seem rather suckish. But yes, the bird does look like a klingon ship all painted up and stuff [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's just a coincidence that they look similar.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Magenta Aban Rune:
The graphics seem rather suckish. But yes, the bird does look like a klingon ship all painted up and stuff [Smile]

the game engine is cell shaded, but it doesn;t have the normal thick black lines around everything. this makes it look....different. i hear it looks a lot better in motion than it does in screen shots.
IP: Logged
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cherry Dukhat:
I think it's just a coincidence that they look similar.

Well yes, I don't think Nintendo were intentionally trying to make the bird look like a Klingon ship, if that's what you mean. But that's my point. I just never thought of the D7 cruiser as being bird-like until I saw that pic.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Historically, the Romulans were the ones with Birds of Prey during the Earth war. Then in STIII the Klingons fly a Bird of Prey, because the first drafts of the script wanted it to be a stolen Romulan ship. Thankfully, we can combine this with the Romulans flying Klingon battlecruisers in TOS and say that they were allies for a time, or at least shared technology. But the STIII BoP caused Greg Jein to redesign the D-7 with a faint wing pattern, and caused all 'modern' Klingon designs to be Romulan-green.

Enterprise has this MAJOR screw-up in the pilot when one of the Vulcans mentions "Klingon Warbirds'. Klingon's have NEVER used birdnames (or at least were never supposed to). I think it's best to just ignore this blooper.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or then consider it the *Vulcan* name for the vessels. If Romulans like bird names, then perhaps Vulcans do as well...

Anyhow, it wouldn't be that strange if everybody out there was in the habit of naming starships after birds. Birds fly, starships fly, that sort of thing.

It's actually pretty strange that humans would think of spacecraft as "ships" at all. Sure, there's some analogy between a ship and a starship, but not so much more than between a car and a starship, and much less than between an aeroplane and a starship. Or a submarine and a starship, really.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:

Enterprise has this MAJOR screw-up in the pilot when one of the Vulcans mentions "Klingon Warbirds'. Klingon's have NEVER used birdnames (or at least were never supposed to). I think it's best to just ignore this blooper.

This is a "MAJOR" screw-up? Jeez, if that's the worst that they are doing, I think I can sleep soundly at night.

And yes, they've never used bird names. Ever. There's no such ship as a Klingon Bird of Prey. Not at all.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot the other big blooper -- in "Sleeping Dogs," that Klingon woman threatened to call in some Birds-of-Prey. If you guys have never read Five-Minute Enterprise, you might enjoy this little clip from the episode:
quote:
Archer: So, think you could help us?
Bu'kaH: HA! Let me go before I send for a Bird of Pr--
Everyone: GASP!
Bu'kaH: Oh no! Did I just say... Noooo! I'm sorry! Don't kill me!
Archer: I'm afraid it's a little late for that. Guards, get rid of this scum.

Nice to know that some people can take these kinds of mistakes seriously, right? [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do remember Braga admitting to that one in an interview.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spaceships being ships in space is sort of intrinsic to the whole idea. It goes back to the dawn of the space age, and well before, with all sorts of ideas for grand liners plying the spaceways and so on.

Besides, NASA has so far taken the Air Force route, and look where it has gotten us. Not one alien, wormhole, or stagnant parallel earth to be seen.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And we have a new .sig.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps