Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Flag bridges (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Flag bridges
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Who can remember all the details of several books you real 8-10 months prior and still hope to enjoy the story?
A thorny problem in the Homo line, to be sure. We thought we had the problem solved with H. Habilus, but the product never enjoyed the recall ability the designers had planned.

However, we are introducing a new line quite soon, H. Sapiens. We have high hopes that these will prove able to process events into a "long-term" form of memory, which should remain available throughout much of the product's expected thirty-five year lifespan.

Look for H. Sapiens coming to a grassy plain near you.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You, for the sake of the World and any babies delivered to it, need to be frozen, and enjoyed for millenia. Last best hope and all that.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do bite my ass, you talking monkeys.
..some of us read several books in an eight month span.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a ha! hes starting to crack!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now someone answer me this: Why is it that all newbies must be chased away? Might I remind you all (Mike, Magnus) that you were newbies in the exact same way? Simon is part of the original group that founded Flare. I myself happened to stumble across the fora when they were new, but I was still a newbie. So why is it that you have to drive them away constantly?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not the only one this act is starting to wear thin on.

Anyway, it started out as a relatively innocent rite of passage gag in the early days, which had largely passed when I registered, but -(judging from what I've read in the archives, as well as from what I remember of my own extensive lurking period)- it was all meant in jest, though over the years I've seen the practice degenerate into, well, a pissing match to determine which newbie can take the most verbal flak without throwing a fit, before they're deemed worthy of acceptance. And that's putting it mildly.

'Tis a tradition apparently held in high regard by Flare's local funny farm contingent.

[ September 01, 2002, 14:21: Message edited by: E. Cartman ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to go crazy with the ego thing, but surely there is some minor difference between suggesting that someone like DARKSTAR or Red Quacker or KING LEROY THE MIGHTY! (whom I have made up for illustration purposes) is a poorly-educated, undernourished mental defective of questionable evolutionary history, and gently pointing out a bit of silliness with a bit of countersilliness.

There is no Flare tradition of newbie-hazing. Anyone who thinks there is and that they can hide behind it is sorely mistaken.

What does exist is nearly five years of forum continuity. I'm not saying we're the WELL of Star Trek or something, but we're fairly long in the tooth as members of our species go, and, I think, exceptionally so for ones not connected to some newsreporting or otherwise "themed" website. Now to be sure that can breed a sense of insularity at worst, but it also allows actual personalities to shine through all this UBB code.

We are not a Trekweb or a TrekBBS, and we never will be. We will never have their high profiles, or their visits from, you know, pseudo-famous people. But, personally, I think our strengths outweigh such concerns, or at least balance them.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps