Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Oh God, not the Yeager again. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Oh God, not the Yeager again.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

Must we go over this again? Sternbach confirmed on the TrekBBS (in spite of the whole newsgroup post thing that went down much earlier) that he believes the Intrepid to be NCC-74600. Not really canon per se, I know, but it's from a fairly reliable source and if there are ever to be more technical articles in ST: The Magazine, that's probably the number they would use...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really canon per se, I know.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But something at least resembling it. It's just a question of finally getting it in print in the mag or some other reference.
Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Wondering out loud, do we know that the NCC-1701 was the first ship to be refit to look like that? Is there anything to say that there weren't Connies built in, say, 2270 that looked like that?"

From memory:

"We've just spent 18 months *redesigning* and refitting the Enterprise"

"The engines haven't even been tested at warp power."

Plus, the Enterprise-class label in STII. Plus, the fact that ships with seemingly minor variations can change class (Soyuz/Miranda, Danube/Yellowstone). Plus, the fact that like the Yellowstone, the Ent-A had a different warp drive system, and could well have been preceded by the Constitution that first incorporated the new warp-drive system (of course, it could've just as well been something other than warp drive).

Okuda's system is too simplistic, inconsistent with both established onscreen facts as well as production realities requiring that the same models represent different classes. Still, even if he names 200 ships Nebula-class, the 201st need not be.

Starfleet probably chose the Enterprise, being the most famous Constitution-class ship, for the TMP refit. Then, it might have decided to honor the Constitution likewise (and at the same time reduce some classification confusion that resulted because of its initial move).

It's also possible that the Constitution (refit) designation was merely a later policy move because the original Enterprise was technically the same ship even after the refit. However, I'm against ignoring the fact in normal cases, minor differences count as a class distinction, because of aforementioned evidence.

Boris

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've been considering offering 74600 as the Intrepid's number, though this may turn out to be official disinformation.
Hardly the most ringingest of endorsements, I think.

http://www.trekbbs.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/001847.html

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially given that, at the time, he had as much to do with official Trekdom as Jimmy The Legless Hobo who lives down by the pond.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, don't get me wrong, were he to make some sort of firm decision I would be the first of my sad, pale cadre to add it to the list. I'm just saying it isn't quite there, yet.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was positive Sternbach said the Intrepid registry was NCC-74450... But is 74600 the actual correct one...?

quote:
On the other hand, if you want to bring in the desktop models as examples, you're an idiot
I'm an idiot am I? I take it you refute the existence of the Melbourne, that which was one of those desk models...?

I for one believe that desk models we've seen in the show represent actual ships that existed. Do you believe for a minute that the likes of Picard and Sisko sit there at their desks playing with starship model kits, inventing various designs for fun?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Yeager, utilizing the Intrepid Class is changed into a variant of Intrepid Class, and as a one-of-a-kind ship would probably be called Yeager-Type, not an individual class of any kind. Because as I see it, you need more than one ship of the same kind to make a new class. And I can't see how this ship, with this configuration went into mass production.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:

From memory:

"We've just spent 18 months *redesigning* and refitting the Enterprise"

"The engines haven't even been tested at warp power."

Failing to see how those quotes prove that there wasn't a Movie-design Connie in service before the Enterprise. All they say is that they haven't tested the Enterprise's warp engines (specific to that ship), and they have bene redesigning the whole ship (again, specific to the Enterprise).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Yeager, utilizing the Intrepid Class is changed into a variant of Intrepid Class, and as a one-of-a-kind ship would probably be called Yeager-Type, not an individual class of any kind. Because as I see it, you need more than one ship of the same kind to make a new class. And I can't see how this ship, with this configuration went into mass production.
And what we are trying to say, bringing this back and forth to one more pointless reverberation, is that we all think you are wrong, the Yeager is a design which has a class designation, may be more than one of it, and is certainly not bogged down by any variant status because it is simply FAR TOO DIFFERENT from the Intrepid to recieve that kind of designation.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you think that the Yeager is a class of ship that's fine. I don't think for one minute you'd be in the majority, speak for yourself, not make sweeping statements that that's what everyone else thinks.

And if you think that the Yeager is 'TOO FAR DIFFERENT' from the Intrepid, then you must be thinking about a different Yeager. I see an Intrepid Class, restructured and modified for a different fleet application. It is, in my opinion, a variant of Intrepid Class. If you think I'm wrong, fine, that's your opinion.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Member # 239

It's "FAR TOO DIFFERENT", actually. And it is. Even moreso than a Nebula to a Galaxy. But, now that you mention it, I see that it is an Intrepid class, no difference in any way, at all. Identical.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Sarcasm does not become you. There seems to be a mental block occurring when the ambiguous word 'varaint' is mentioned. So yet again, I shall explain it in plainer English.

The Yeager is a variation, a differing alternative if you will, to the Intrepid design, much like the Nebula is a differing variation of the Galaxy design. I did not mean 'Intrepid Variant' as a designation, but as an observation. Do you understand me now?

..And one is welcome to believe its a mass produced class if one wishes, it bothers me not.

--------------------

The ASDB

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, I think it's just a case of that, around here, when someone calls a ship a variant of another, there are only minor differences between the two. So, in the language of the land, an Intrepid variant would have static nacelles or something, not much else different.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Yeh I see that and appreciate it, but the term is ambiguous and often used rather loosely. For instance some may call the Saladin a Constitution variant as a passing comment. We need another term that sets the two meanings apart.

Perhaps 'variant' to mean the same class, only minor differences, and 'variation' - different/or unknown class, significant differences but of from the same family.

ie.

USS Rhode Island - Nova Variant
USS Curry - Excelsior variation.

Heck I don't know...I'm confused already [Mad]

--------------------

The ASDB

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps